A dry year in Kansas

We sure are getting some moisture now. Lets hope the moisture continues.

Not dry anymore! Iā€™ll be mushroom hunting in no time!

2 Likes

I would think the grey morels will start popping once it hits 80 degrees. Hopefully the blondes will be big this year. Last year very few were found.

Another low pressure over Ok @ 168hrā€¦the gravy train of low pressure (and rain) continuesā€¦

I usually start finding them around April 10, but the first oneā€™s I find are always old so Iā€™m hopeful to find some this weekend.

I use to pick pounds of themā€¦but found that i really didnā€™t care for them (to eat). Iā€™d rather find chanterelles. Morels can bring in good cash if you find enough and if the quality is there.

I love morels but have a hard time finding many of them.
Chanterelles pop up everywhere on my place!

The early morels are fineā€¦the later season onesā€¦eh. I remember i found a patch of them onceā€¦they were just getting some sizeā€¦so i left them for a dayā€¦came backā€¦ ALL of them were goneā€¦ hmmmmm.

We are not dry now. We suddenly received several inches rainfall in a day.

6 Likes

Yeahā€¦the extended is just low after low after lowā€¦ annoying pattern if you live up hereā€¦no hint of anything really mildā€¦may be a 60F if we can get some sun in between the clouds/rains.

1 Like

Those lows are killing your temps tooā€¦where the sun was out in the northā€¦the temps responded nicely yesterday.

1 Like

Clark,
You and I are getting soak by the same weather system. We still having a few more days of rain yet. The farmers will be happy with no drought.

Tony

2 Likes

I would guess we are over 1.5" by now. I dont have my rain gauge out yet. Just going by radar estimates. I dont mind packing trees in the rain, but people are dragging their feet in getting things picked up ā€¦ dont want to dealing with customer pick ups when I need to be grafting in a couple of weeks.

3 Likes

Tony,
This rain sure makes me happy Iā€™m going to plant a bunch of new trees. Might lose my first early pear grafts due to cold though we wiil see how that goes. Pears are really tough trees.
Turkeycreek,
Hopefully tree sales are booming. Iā€™m seeing more and more fruit growers every year largely due to this forum. Love seeing people going to the next level of fruit growing. People like you are offering a niche tree market that buyers will have a hard time finding anywhere else.

1 Like

Good that you liked the rain we sent you @clarkinks :wink: cause it looks like more of it on your way. We got 1.19" on the last storm and likely more than that on the way to us tomorrow-Sat (depending on the exact track of the low). For the CO foothills we went from the driest March on record to almost normal in just this last storm. Likely be over normal if the new storm performs as predicted.

1 Like

How bout you Olpea. Is spring looking kinder?

Olpea, I was just reading Good Fruit about irrigating commercial orchards in the northeast, and it is well known that apples are more in need of irrigation in drought than peaches (to be productive, at least), so my experiences must be unique to transplanting more mature trees and/or growing trees where peach roots are competing with the roots of sod or established forest trees.

3 Likes

We are receiving many inches of rain.

1 Like

It was like someone flipped a switch after my last post. Weā€™ve received lots of rain the the ground is back to saturated, like a normal spring. Now we have rain in the forecast most days and nights in the next week, honestly more than Iā€™d like. You tried to warn me something like this could happen after my complaint about the spring drought. :thinking:

Thanks for the update in Good Fruit mag. Iā€™d like to catch up reading on that. Iā€™ve been so busy I havenā€™t had time to do much sitting down, not even time to check the forum with phone.

2 Likes

April rain is just getting started - early!

1 Like