A dry year in Kansas

We rely on some spring rains and this year so far those heavy rains have not came. We have had cracks in the ground for about a month now. How is your rainfall this year? There is a huge upside which is less fungal and bacterial diseases.

Here in western Louisiana it is rainning right now, overall our rainfall has been about average except for one incredible all time record setting event with nearly all of the Louisiana / Texas border area from the coast to southern Arkansas being soaked with 12-17 inches of rain within in 24 hours, thousands of people lost their homes in the resulting flooding, and even I-10 was closed for about 4 or 5 days where it crosses the Sabine river (all of this barely made the national news though), for 2 or 3 of those days every bridge across the Sabine river sounth of I-20 in Shreveport was closed. We were just outside the major downpour zone with only 5 or 6 inces, vs 12+ less than 10 miles west of my house. Driving through the disaster area as I did Sunday shows 6-8 ft tall piles of debris (furniture, insulation, and most visibly mattresses) piled along the roadway infront of every house for miles.

1 Like

Clark,

Same here in Omaha. No .major rain. Pretty dry.

Tony

2 Likes

More rain than normal here in Michigan. It’s been a wet spring.

1 Like

Last 60 days…

We’ve been pretty moisture deprived this “spring” too, but FWIW according to the State Climatologist Iowa did break a 101 year old record for having the wettest winter recorded over that time frame. I know the ground was still a bit wet when I tilled the garden. I’m sorta looking forward to a little less spring rain, but we’re going to need some timely rains to get the crops going here before it’s over.

1 Like

As of last week, we were slightly below average, maybe an inch or so. We’re expecting quite a bit here in NE FL over the next couple of days so it should put us back where we need to be.

1 Like

Massachusetts has been getting hammered it seems. Now the outlook is sunny for some days. One thing about here is we seem to get enough water overall.

1 Like

July and August 2013 were very dry around here…lots of dead lawns.

1 Like

I had an inch and six tenths Sunday night.

1 Like

Western new york/great lakes area is never dry, my complain is too wet and hard to garden at spring.

1 Like

Sames goes for RI. but if we have a hot summer, we’ll still have brown lawns, regardless of the amount of rain we get in the spring. Its always something!

1 Like

About average to a bit wetter than normal here on the front range. However they are forecasting a fairly big storm to hit this weekend, with 2-5" of water and 1-3’ of snow. If it happens, that would likely push us well into the plus area for the year.

In East Kansas, Western Missouri, we generally get too much rain for peaches. I remember 2012 here where it pretty much didn’t rain all summer.

It was so hard on row crop and cattle farmers, but peaches tasted really good.

They love hot dry weather. I hope we have a balance of moisture here, but if it’s dry and hot here, bring it., As long as not too many days over 100.

1 Like

It looks like there is a system that will bring some heavy rains up through the area this week. You might get more rain than you want.

1 Like

We are pretty close to average here. And here in Iowa I know not to wish for rain. Otherwise the skies will open up and rain for 40 days and 40 nights and give us a flood of biblical proportions.

Looking at the 10 day makes it look like there will be a lot of corn in the ground in April here. I fully expect the skies to open up by May 15.

Ancient farmers prayer: May you all get exactly the amount of precipitation you need when you need it.

4 Likes

We are expecting some rain in the next week or so.

Pretty impressive out west

Hot weather (for this time of year) looks locked in up here.

1 Like

We are getting a nice slow, but steady rain this morning. We needed it. Looks pretty wet over the next few days, but in my area you take it when you can get it because it can dry up in a real hurry. It will be great moisture in the nursery for transplanting bench grafts in a week or two.

1 Like

Depending on how long this lasts, i could see this having an impact on summer heat. Maybe this can temper that Texas heat a little this summer.

1 Like