A Few Fruit From Last Season

While planning for my next chapter in fruit growing (ordering, grafting, planting at the new residence) it’s really hard to have to wait until next season, especially since last year was the first year that some of my trees bore fruit. To say I’m addicted to gardening and fruit growing is an understatement and going through a few of the pictures does not make things easier.

OLYMPIA FIG - This is a fantastic variety

LITTLE RUBY - Very small fruits and plants fits very nicely in container

CANDY HEART PLUERRY

BURGUNDY PLUM

WINTER BANANA APPLE

18 Likes

Nice, how do they taste?

What did you think of Candy Heart? Haven’t tried that one yet.

Candy Heart is really good, despite being consumed before peak. The kids could not keep their hands away (and I don’t blame them)…
Totally recommend. The tree has a very errect growing pattern so branches pretty much need to be trained, and it creates tons of small additional branches that point everywhere.

1 Like

I have one in ground that I planted a couple years ago, hoping to get fruit this year. Good to hear you hold it in high regard.

Mine fruited in its second year, albeit rather sparse. We probably got around 15 fruit. Guessing/hoping that number will increase significantly this year.

The taste of plum is dominating, but its intensity is lightened up a bit in this fruit and there is a clear berry undertone throughout. If any, it was slightly tart. But again, they were picked early, so that’s not a surprise.

1 Like

How did you like the winter banana apple? Just asking as I bought a bushel of them from an orchardist years ago when my orchard was not yet bearing.
Grown in Wisconsin. We found them to be excellent as a cooked product (really were spectacular in cobbler) but somewhat mediocre for fresh eating.
Perhaps they are better in warmer climates? Just wondering what your eating experience is with this variety.

I had no idea when they’re supposed to ripen (I actually still don’t) so I started picking one once a week once my curiosity got the best of me. By the time I ate the last fruit, they were still not in their prime.

In other words, I can’t tell you. The ones I ate were tart, hard, and very starchy. But promising.

olympian main crop correct?

Yes