A really big peach

Mark,
Congratulations! Now I can say I know somebody famous. Couldn’t
happen to a nicer guy.

Ray

2 Likes

Well, congrats Mark. It looks like a orange and yellow softball! I didn’t know it was a white peach until I read your last post, might have to consider a Lady Nancy. Where did you get the tree?

And another important question, why the name “Tubby” Fruits?

Mark we already knew you were a “peach heavyweight”, and now everybody else will too :grin:

1 Like

What an awesome deal! Made me think of the folks who harvest trophy bucks and then places like Bass Pro Shops or Cabela’s buys them and then gives the seller a cast. You could have a mount of a trophy peach!!!

I had some relation deliver me two boxes of peaches last night. Each are unnamed peaches, but one 1/2 bushel box is from Missouri and says Bader Farms, while the other is in a plain box and were Colorado peaches and need to ripen on the counter some.

The Bader Farms peaches are really small, but pretty good. Took 10 peaches to make the 4 1/2 cups of peaches called for to make a small (5 jelly jars) batch.

Your monster on the other hand is to peaches what Wolf River is to apples! Not many needed for pies etc!

2 Likes

That’s so cool, Mark. Congrats…

Tom

1 Like

Anybody know the record for nectarines? Spice Zee Nectaplum makes some huge nectarines! They might not be considered nectarines. I actually have my doubts any plum is in this cultivar. Not that big this year, but the tree has potential for huge fruits.

Interesting./.mine were very small, but the tree overset and its potted. The fruit was almost too sweet for me. I agree with the no plum…i know they claim it and it might be true genetically…

Now i want to add Lady Nancy just for the potential of growing some pig peaches.

Mark once mentioned Redskin as being fairly large and I need a good yellow, so that is what I’m looking at. I tried twice to graft it on an existing tree, no luck!
Here is a nectaplum from last year. I have yet to harvest this year.

3 Likes

congratulations on your record.

that variety is the peach? that often have weight average peaches that tree?

He said it was a Lady Nancy, a white fleshed peach. He mentioned earlier in this thread that the tree is older and has always produced large fruit, but this one is unusually large.

You guys are all awful kind.

warmwx,

Actually the peach had a split pit (although the peach wasn’t open). The seed was big though. I’ll try to post the video my wife took of the event if anyone is interested (it shows me cutting open the peach).

Subdood,

I think I got the original tree from Adams County. I made some copies of it because I liked it. I think @alan still grows Lady Nancy too. I really like the taste of the peach, but be aware the lower later ripening peaches don’t taste very good, but I find that with many varieties.

I don’t get asked that question too often. Most people think that is my nickname (and some of my customers actually know me as Tubby, lol) The truth is when we first decided to start selling peaches, my family and I sat down at the table to think up a name. I didn’t want a traditional name like, e.g. Smith’s Orchard. It’s not very original, not very memorable, and doesn’t create any imagery. So my wife, kids and I wanted to try to pick a better name. We came up with Tubby Fruits to try to create the imagery of really “fat” fruits. It is somewhat memorable because even though people can’t remember the whole name of the orchard if they can just remember the word Tubby, they can Google “Tubby peaches” and my website comes up.

If anyone is interested, NPR did a short interview (lasts about a minute). I would have never imagined this would have made a blub on national news (Audio is on the right hand side of the linked page.)

4 Likes

WOW! I’m a little late in learning about all this, but IMHO this is a really big deal! We now have a bonafide celebrity in our little group here. As usual, he’s being extremely humble and low-key- all the way down to the title of the thread. If I grew a world record peach that big I’d be calling the thread something like “WORLD RECORD PEACH?” or “BIGGEST PEACH EVER GROWN?”. I myself grew some “really big peach(es)”. What we have here is an all-out monster, gigantic, amazing, world-class piece of fruit. Mark may not say it but I darn sure will…this is a very big deal, extremely impressive, and is evidence of his peach growing skills. He can act like its just because his tree didn’t have a lot of fruit and was a mature tree and so on, but people have mature peach trees with a few peaches on them all over the country and I for one believe it’s a lot more than luck that our resident peach expert just happened to produce such an amazing piece of fruit. Clearly he’s raised a healthy tree and expertly cared for it and because of his experience and expertise in pruning, fertilizing, growing, spraying, etc he wound up with a world record piece of fruit. There may be some element of good luck, but as the saying goes, most people find the harder they work and the more skill they acquire, the luckier they become.

As someone who has to do news interviews fairly often, I thought you did a great job on that, and I think its funny that you said they got the facts wrong. Nine times out of 10 when I watch one of my interviews I think 1) I look goofy and 2) I wonder how they got what they reported out of what I said- they almost always screw it up. ha

Congratulations on your big peach. Relish your accomplishment and the notoriety that comes with a world record fruit- you have earned it!

Local news, and now NPR? Wow, you are becoming quite the media darling. Next stop Conan, Jimmy Fallon, and maybe even The View :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, that is certainly a memorable name, and now quite prophetic!

I just looked on their site and they’ve had it in stock, but not now. It says on the following link page, that it is a sport of a Jerseyqueen. I thought OK, well what is a JQ? Well, they they sell it as well, but it’s a yellow flesh peach?!? Is it common to get a different flesh colored sport of peach? I think I’ve heard about certain apples having a different colored skin than the original, but not different colored flesh. Do you have any JQ trees, and if so, do they sometimes produce white fruits? Or have you seen this on any of your other trees?

https://www.acnursery.com/fruit-trees/peach-trees/182/lady-nancy

OMG, Mark, congrats!! How wonderful. We have a celebrity in our mix, now!!

Ha Ha Ha, you’re great for my self-confidence Cityman!

I’m not sure there’s much notoriety in growing a record peach but I do appreciate the commendatory words. Very kind, thank you.

Not at all common. One thing very distinctive about Lady Nancy is the yellow line which goes from the suture on the skin clear to the seed. It’s pretty cool to see when you cut the peach in half (from bottom to top).

My wife has seen this with interviews at the hospital. The news is very scary thing if you ask me.
Congrats Mark wow!

Mark, you should have sent this to me directly. It’s great stuff- you should use it somehow at your fruit stands to promote your “brand”.

1 Like

@Olpea Congratulations
There are not many things a person growing fruit can do that reaches celebrity status but you have done it. After reading Alan’s post above I think he has a great advertising idea for your business. Every since I first saw your posting I was wondering if you could possibly have a bud mutation that caused the super sized peach and better yet can it be reproduced by grafting. I’m sure scion wood from it would be in high demand as well as established nursery wanting to buy your rights to it. Great job and best of luck with your peach. Bill

Lady Nancy is by nature a very big peach.

1 Like

Well, it is nice to get my peach orchard mentioned in the news. We are sort of in a nondescript location, so the mentions in the news at least lets people in the KC area that the orchard exists.

I guess the story made the AP wire this morning.

If anyone is interested, here is the video we made when we weighed the peach. Not anything particularly interesting, but we did taste the peach around 13:40 in the vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxgqCG06osk

6 Likes