A scion list - what should I choose?

So I got an offer to purchase scion wood for $3.50 per stick and every 5 sticks cost $6.00 in shipping. The guy sends a stick of my choice for free. Here is his list and I’m wondering if you see any must haves on here? Sorry about the formatting it did not transfer over well. Apples on left and everything else was supposed to be on the right. Eg. top row apple is Alexader pear is Bosc, Row 2 apple is Arkansas black pear is Carl’s favorite etc.
apple Pear
Alexander Bosc
Arkansas Black Carl’s favorite
Ashmead’s Kernel Flemish Beauty
Ashton Bitter Hendre Huffcap
Baldwin Hosui
Belle De Beskoop Luscious
Black Gilliflower Moonglow
Black Oxford Onward
Black twig Patton
Bleinheim
Orange Potato
Blue Pearmain Potomac
Blushing Golden Rescue
Blushing Maiden Seckel
Bramley’s Seedling Shenandoah
Calville Blanc Tsu Li
Canadian Strawberry Warren
Charette Waterville
Chenango Strawberry Winnal’s Longdon
Cornish Gilliflower Yellow Huffcap
Cortland
Cox’s Orange Pippen
Dabinett Plum- Must be grafted to plum
Earliblaze
Edward VII Cambridge
Esopus Spitzenburg Ember
Fallawater Imperial Epinese
Fameuse Kaga
Firmgold Methley
Florina Mirabelle
Fuji Schoolhouse
Gala Shiro
Ginger Gold Stanley
Golden Delicious Superior
Golden Russett Toka
Granny Smith Zuetsche
Gravenstein
Grimes Golden
Harrison Pawpaw- Must be grafted to pawpaw
Hidden Rose
Honey Cider Mango
Honeycrisp
IdaRed
King David American Persimmon-
King of Thompkins County Must be grafted to American Persimmon
Kingston Black
Lady C100
Liberty Early Golden
Lyman’s Large John Rick
MacFree Morris Burton
Melrose
Newton Pippen
Northern Spy
Orleans Reinette
Pitmaston Pineapple
Pomme D’or
Pomme Grise
Red Astracian
Rhode Island Greening
Ribston Pippen
Rome
Roxbury Russet
Scott’s Winter
Shizuka
Smokehouse
Spencer
Suncrisp
Sweet Sixteen
VA Gold
VA Hewes Crab
Winekist
Winter Banana
Wolf River
Yellow Transparent
Zabergun Reinette

I think a number of these you might find here as well…I am in no position to offer expert advice, my apples are all still growing tall enough to fruit, but Canadian Strawberry was both rare enough and praised enough @ Fedco that I busted my butt trying to get some (and did, thanks to Jesse on this site)…I would be reluctant to order a “Mirabelle” without knowing which it was, that part looks a bit off because I have Mirabelle de Metx here, am seeking Mirabelle de Nancy, will be trading for Parfume de Septembre, and have a nice 4-foot Reine de Mirabelles…so which if any of these was what they offer?

the rest, hopefully you will get some more educated advice…

1 Like

markalbob,
I recognize the names such as Cox orange pippin, Ribston pippin, Gravenstein etc. as quality apples but could I really grow them in Kansas? I’m not sure they would do well here at all.

I can give you many those for free.

3 Likes

I am probably not your guy, other than that I have heard Cox isn’t great in heat. On the flip side, you could ripen Goldrush, which is very uncertain here…Gravenstein came from Italy, depending where it may very well have Kansas-levels of heat and growing seasons…or just not be as impacted by heat.

Check out Scott’s apple rating list? Similar heat, albeit probably more humid where he’s at…

1 Like

39thparallel ,
Thanks and your just a few miles from me. Was looking through the list to see if there is anything interesting.

Ginger Gold is worth trying if you don’t already have it.

1 Like

Matt,
I don’t have that one but it sounds like a good one. Just read up on it.

I had a similar problem for the last week, a long list of scion possibilities and I had a lack of personal restraint. :slight_smile: I can’t really help you much my choices need to be geared towards cold tolerance coupled with short season, but I would like one of each just to experiment.

The problem with lists like this is that the wish to purchase the right ones and not overlook a gem is overwhelming. I tend to go with the scions that have a strange name or are rare. Not a very scientific approach but I believe that the more common ones will always be available for me to source. It is the varieties that are not often easy to find that I would be disappointed to miss out on. Hence I have ordered one that I cannot find any information on, Amastay Misket. Let’s hope it even survives up here, but for a few dollars it is worth the risk.

2 Likes

northof53 ,

I suspect the apple is turkish. The word misket is Turkish Misket - Wikipedia for dance/folk music. I think the word Amasya is also Turkish for a type of apple and Amastay is a mispronunciation. I know I’m reaching but it’s to big of a coincidence http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0260877403002437. Amasya apple makes up 10% of apples in production in Turkey http://gain.fas.usda.gov/Recent%20GAIN%20Publications/Fresh%20Deciduous%20Fruit%20Annual_Ankara_Turkey_10-27-2016.pdf. Again keep in mind I don’t know but that’s my strong suspicion on it’s origin.

1 Like

Well, thank you very much, I googled it but my search did not bring up as much info . I googled Amasya Misket and I found that it does exist, so much for the sellers spelling of Amastay. It seems that a lot of people are trying to sell the seeds, I am sure they are like any other apple and do not come true from seed, but a few apples do so maybe this is one.

1 Like

Finally tracked down how it came into the country https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/accessiondetail.aspx?1525644 . Let us know how it does it looks very rare. It may have came through Nick Botner as well. These are likely some close relatives
Amasya 2
Amasya 3
Amasya 4
Amasya 5
found here Wagon Wheel Orchard: 2013 Apple and Pear Benchgrafts

1 Like

Now I am thinking that an apple from Turkey may not be the most frost hardy, and probably not one of my best gambles. And yet hope springs eternal, and never say never LOL.

1 Like

Looking at clarkinks list, I can say Winekist is quite durable and precocious; Pomme Grise is reputed to be “bulletproof” and I will try again to graft it here.
May I caution, unless you plan to spray often, against Golden Delicious and Kingston Black? Cox Orange Pippin cannot survive the heat and aridity of Spokane - probably not a safe bet for you, either. Most Fuji sports require a long growing season, as does Granny Smith. Neither are able to ripen here, although one can keep GS in the cellar a while if a particular year has been near 170 days between frosts. (Like this one.)

If you seek another red fleshed later in the season, may I suggest Redfield? Both Redfield (October) and Winekist (August) trees are rather droopy once they get any height, but both are excellent trees and apples. Tart but useful. Inoculate Winekist roots with beneficial fungi, especially, as it goes a bit limp here in high heat. That will benefit all your trees, BTW.

Watch Liberty for coddling moth - a magnet, but quite a decent apple.
If you have strong fire blight issues, Ribston Pippin was tried near here organically and failed due to FB. I believe FB to be a light-to-moderate threat here, but anything susceptible to it is not worth trying, in my limited budget. Same goes for Rome, even where sprayed here, it dwindles due to FB.

The only other great success in my limited experience has been Bardsey. I think this has huge potential anywhere in the States (tried at Kuffel Creek yet?) We do not know how hardy it is (zone 4 or colder? my zone is 5/6.) It shrugs off drought and 100+F. I’ve seen no disease on it at all. The fruit does not crack in dry conditions, is sweeter here, I think, than anywhere in the UK. All the light and 30 degree temperature swings from day to night yield brick red colored fruit for me.

Wish I had more encouragement for you.

3 Likes

NuttingBumpus,
Thank you for your advice! I would love to grow Cox Orange Pippin but I’m sure your right.
We have a long enough growing season here in Kansas to grow the Fuji and granny smith. Bardsey does look like a great apple https://www.raintreenursery.com/Bardsey-Apple.html.

Hi Dave- Please describe taste and texture of Bardsey. I had my eye on this a few years ago, did not realize it has jumped the ocean. Thanks for posting. Do you know if anyone sells scionwood?

Bear in mind Spokane is like much of the semi-arid west in having temperature swings from day to night of 30 degrees F. We also have low humidity through the summer. 15% is common. What I imply is that your mileage may vary, with acid levels more obvious.
Bardsey under these conditions yields a juicy apple with light lemon scent. Its acid levels are moderate, with sweetness a bit more dominant. (Brix was not recorded. Sorry. What I remember was a pair shaken off in high wind at the end of August '15 and one tried Labor Day. Brix was 10 at that time, if memory serves.) Although the single fruit offered this year (too many scions sent away last year; it is a partial tip bearer) measured over 3 x 3 inches, it weighed only 9 ounces. The flesh was coarse and crisp, breaking at each bite in the first month. I have yet to keep it until Thanksgiving, so cannot tell how much it softens in storage.

My excitement has been in the unexpected robustness of the tree. It comes from Wales, where the weather is moderated by the Gulf Stream. In '14 it established roots and handled a record summer well. Summer of '15 left the new record behind by several lengths! It offered three apples that gave all I had hoped for.This winter will tell me how it handles cold, for we are expecting -8 or -9 F tonight, early for winter in this region.
PSF, PTB, early-mid blooming and ripe in September. Brick red here, pink elsewhere.

3 Likes

I do not know of another scion source right now. Raintree is asking a bit less than at first. I paid $34. for the whip in '14, on M26 for the sandy soil that my yard possesses. The current catalog lists $28.50 for EMLA 26 and Antonovka and $32.50 on EMLA 27 (dwarf.)
There will be more scions available if I give this little tree another year. No one is more impatient than I to see it propagated! And, I confess, I hope to get many more fruits this coming season to find how it does into the end of November.

2 Likes

Two more things about Bardsey: one - I cover most apples with nylon footies bought from the Home Orchard Society, Portland OR. (Tried cheaper approach this year with sandwich size zip lock bags; definitely prefer the footies.) (Only red fleshed Winekist has had no need for footies. Redfield hasn’t fruited yet.)
two - thin Bardsey to a single fruit per spur. It has short stems and when I left two on the same spur they pushed off almost a month early in a wind…

3 Likes

I told Brent I would post his email and info he sent me which is bndickinson@hotmail.com for the scions he offered me above
Email #1
"I hope that your grafts last spring were successful and grew away nicely! I will be listing on Ebay again this year, on January 2nd, as bnd68. However, since you have ordered previously, you get an opportunity to order before anyone else, and at a lower price! Below is the list of available cultivars, with lots of new offerings.

The price for you is $3.50 per scion + $6.00 USPS Priority Mail shipping. For every 5 scions you buy, you get one scion of your choice free. The price on Ebay will be higher to cover my ebay fees. Scions are 8-12 inches long and approximately pencil diameter. To place your order, email me your selections and I will send you a PayPal invoice, then you can check out through PayPal.

Order now since many varieties are in limited supply! I will begin shipping orders in January. You can store them in the fridge until it is time to graft. Sorry, I cannot hold orders due to limited storage space. Happy grafting, and thanks!

Brent"

Email #2
"Fruit Haven is now offering bare-root gooseberry plants. Gooseberries are not only great for making pies and jam, but ripe European gooseberries are sweet with a slight tang making them wonderful eaten out of hand! This year, we offer two of our favorites: Hinnonmaki Red (above) and Black Velvet (below).
These are well-rooted one year old bare-root plants, available at an introductory low price of only $7 each. Shipping is a flat rate of $12 for as many gooseberry and scions that you want! (Orders of scions only ship for $6 flat rate.) Please email with your selections and I will send a Paypal invoice. Orders will begin shipping in early January.

Thanks!
Brent

Copyright © 2016 Fruit Haven, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this email because you purchased scions on Ebay from us

Our mailing address is:
Fruit Haven
5441 State Road 28 E
Lafayette, IN 47909

"