A southern California Pawpaw patch

Over the past three weeks the saplings have sent new branches under and around the shade cloth into the direct sun. So today I removed the cloth and we’ll see how well they fare.

5 Likes

The potted Pawpaws have been exposed to full sun for week now. So far just 2 of the 12 are showing brown spots and the remainder are thriving.

4 Likes

I grafted a Pawpaw cutting this spring onto a small sucker I dug up. It’s doing fine without shading.

1 Like

The sun in New York is probably not as intense as Southern California.

1 Like

Also my section of NY has many cloudy days. We had a long stretch of cool cloudy and rainy weather is late spring when vigorous growth was happening. When weather changed to sunny some plants had some leaf damage but I didn’t notice any on the Pawpaw.

I can understand soil type being a problem but how would heat and humidity be a problem? Ive lived in Florida my whole life and consider the heat and humidity to be much more intense in north central Florida, Georgia ,Alabama and South Carolina! South Florida has more mild winters but also more breezes off the ocean! For example it might be 96f 89% humidity in north inland Florida but on the same day Miami or Naples is usually 5 to 10 degrees cooler with 10% less humidity . This only applies to summer months. I thought chill hours would be a problem but you proved that wrong! It may be the very high lime content south Florida or tge hurricanes actually destroyed them!

1 Like

I am interested in your products Mr. Frost. Any currently available for shipping out of California?

1 Like

All of our potted fruit trees comprise a repository for study. When I’ve finished with a particular group I’ll try selling them on Etsy and if that fails I’ll give them away locally. An exception will be the figs which will be sold on a dedicated site, in part to recoup costs of the genetic testing underway.

2 Likes

:+1:

1 Like

Overleese, 3/13

2 Likes

4/13. Wabash is the second to bloom here this year.

2 Likes

4/24. Taylor, the 3rd to break dormancy but only leaves.

1 Like

You could always plant them in a state park to try and naturalize them. One day someone could be eating a wild california pawpaw. Others will wonder why Cali wilds are so much better.

I’d hold on to them, but I’m sure you will have no problem finding someone to take them.

1 Like

4/28. NC-1

3 Likes

5/2. Sunflower and Susquehanna are last to break dormancy this year.

6/8. Today I connected the Pawpaws to the automatic irrigation in their new location.

7 Likes

So it looks like we may get to read it soon! Very exciting!

1 Like

https://www.pubhort.org/aps/77/v77_n1_a1.htm

2 Likes

Fall color :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

CC: @Richard, @JustPeachy @TrilobaTracker @Vid @disc4tw, @Blake

Saw that you’ve also been growing and fruiting PawPaws from other threads and I posted on the Bill Whitman thread and am getting a bunch of advice but thought I’d cross post here as well in case you have more advice.

I’m intrigued by what I’ve been reading about Pawpaws. I love sugar apples and mangoes and sapodillas and suspect I will like Pawpaws too! Am going to find a way to try some varieties. In the mean time, like any good fruit growing addict, I’m thinking about how to grow them in my yard :slight_smile:

Any suggestions on varieties or approach to take?

I have a good spot that gets Sun until about 2-3pm in the afternoon that I currently have a large Redbud in that I’m going to take out. Or can grow them in some space on the side of the house where they will get 4-6 hours of morning Sun and then shade all day. However, this will need to be in a large pot. (At least for now). Will post a pic once I’m back home next week.

Thanks in advance!

-MB