A visit to a special nursery in Portugal

So, today i went to a special nursery in Portugal that had loads of tropical, semi tropical and unusual plants.
I bought a few and i will surely will go back soon for more.
The nursery is in the north of Portugal and its called Viveiros do Lima, near a very ancient and medieval and pre medieval city called Ponte de Lima
It was a roman settlement in the Roman Empire, and it was founded as a proper town in 1125 ad

Fellow portuguese member @Luisport told me about this nursery. Thanks

My intent was to buy tropical and semi tropical plants so i only took pictures of these inside the greenhouse.

I didnt took pictures of the outside which is huge and full of temperate and regular trees and shrubs and other more common plants (pears, apples, figs, apricots, loquats, blueberries, strawberries, black berries, etc etc etc).
I also didnt took pictures of their huge and rare citrus orchard - maybe next time…

Lets concentrate on the tropicals, semi tropicals inside (bought a few of these).
The employee on the site was very generous with his time and guided me for over an 1h on this greenhouse.
He apologized and said some of the stock is over now late in the season but even so, the amount of different plants is gobsmacking lol

Here we go

Entrance and some of the plants on the outside

Inside the tropical greenhouse now (the reason for my visit)

JUJUBES

PAW PAWS - SEVERAL CULTIVARS

UVAIA

CARISSA MACROCARPA

Kiwis and hardy kiwis

AMERICAN BEAUTY BERRY

Mulberries and morus nigra la regina

LUCUMO LA MOLINA / CHERYMOYA / ABACATE

CANISTEL

MANGOES

ATEMOYA

GRUMIXAMA

ANONNA RETICULATA AND CAJAN

BLACK ZAPOTE

GUBIROBA RUGOSA

GRAFTED MACADAMIA

JAPANESE CAJUEIRO / SHOSHONI PECAN / WESTERN PECAN / WICHITA PECAN

RIO GRANDE CHERRY / RED SURINAM CHERRY / BLACK SURINAM CHERRY

FEIJOAS, SEEDLINGS, SELF FERTILES AND CULTIVARS (MAMMOUTH, TRIUMPH)

MIRACLE FRUIT

JABUTICABAS

LICHEES

Lemon / pink / red psidium guayaba

TAMARILHO (TOMATO TREE), GUABIJU, KEI APPLE

ARACAS - RED, YELLOW, PURPLE AND PEAR SHAPE ARACAS

LONGANS - BIEW KIEW, CHOM POO, HAEW

CARAMBOLA Carambola fwang tung

JACA - JACKFRUIT BLACK GOLD

LUCUMO, ACEROLA, BIRIBE

Thats it for now… i only saw a portion of the site. Next month ill be back for more shopping :slight_smile:

21 Likes

Ok, now I have a very good reason to visit Portugal :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you for sharing your photos!!

I know that nursery, they are amazing! Very nice people and very knowledgeable! I was there two years ago and bought most of their Myrtaceae. Another great nursery in the region is Sitio das Frutas Raras near Braga.

Have fun in your next visit!

4 Likes

Yes in this nursery you will be crazy! You will see very rare jaboticaba varieties and other rare fruit trees! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Damn guys… you shouldnt have told me… lol… ill be visiting them also so… Braga is 40km away from the other one lol

2 Likes

You will go wild! And the seafood is like nothing you have ever tasted!!!

4 Likes

Don’t forget to make me a visit! :blush:

3 Likes

I was looking at travel information this morning.bb

If only we could bring plants with us :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Whoever wants to visit the nursery, I want to tag along​:innocent::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

This looks great! Is there a similar nursery closer to Lisbon that specializes in citrus fruit?

1 Like

Not just in citrus, but it depends on what you want.