Accidental olive tree propagation

My wife just found something funny. I was surprised it’s this easy ( assuming these are OK), as olive trees tend to be a bit expensive here.
She has a root bound tree that was neglected, and I had to move it a couple months ago. The roots had grown through the bottom of the pot into the ground, and the ones I couldn’t rip out i used a saw and cut them off.

This week my wife was weeding the yard and saw some familiar looking leaves. Looks like there’s about five trees, each sprouting from a separate torn root tip. Here’s one:

Are these any good as normal olive trees?

2 Likes

There are two posibilites,

1. The regrowth is the root stock your original tree was grown on and will grow into a true olive tree but of a different cultivar and quality of the original.
  2. The tree was grown on its own roots and the regrowth is identical to the original.

In the first case you could transfer scions from the original top tree to the regrowth on the roots.

2 Likes

Olive trees are very rarely grafted, as they root easily (except for few not very common cultivars like Empeltre). I’m practically certain that the tree in question was on its own roots.

2 Likes

OK, that’s great then, I’ll dig them all up in little pots.

1 Like

Do you know which variety is your olive tree?

1 Like

No idea, but they sell quite a view varieties for local growth. I have it sitting next to a “Luca” variety I bought a couple years ago.

1 Like

If you post photos of ripe olives in September-October, I might be able to id the variety.

1 Like

Cheers, probably won’t get any this year though, in fact I don’t think any have made it to maturity. It’s been neglected pretty bad. I’m waiting till winter to give it the bonsai treatment.