Accidential rose

How about “shlung”? :grin:

1 Like

That last one almost sounds German: Schlauch

It probably came to Russian from German, the languages are very influencing.

2 Likes

You speak Russian?
In Polish we often say: szlauch

1 Like

Yes, I do :grinning:

2 Likes

Beautiful.

I’m from just a couple hours south of you (RI) and it would be common to hear that someone had “pahked” the car…

Now I’m in the midwest where evidently cows produce “melk”

Scott

5 Likes

My neighbor has a bush type rose, seems similar to chiluly as far as Rose color and shifting hues on same plant.
On my neighbors:
The first flower to open is light red with hint of yellow and shades change a bit, as described in chiluly.
The second pure yellow, but stayed yellow.
Is there a variety of rose known for color variations as I have shown?
I’ve heard St. Joseph coat has color changes in blooms, but I don’t think to this extreme.
thanks!!
Edit:
I was away four days and the yellow Rose turned colors to be just like the first rose so maybe not so unusual.

IMG_20210716_070405404_HDR|690x920

3 Likes

My accidental rose didn’t survive. It was badly eaten by rabbits last year and I had to replant it to the new place when we moved and that didn’t help. So only top branch is completely dead now, so I pulled it just to see it is sprouting from root. I did some reading and found that roses in north climates are grafted either on Dr. Huey or Multiflora, both invasive if let to grow from roots. The question I have is why the same invasive roots are not invasive when grafted? I never saw any grafted roses to produce suckers… I don’t want Multiflora , but I do not mind Dr. Huey somewhere on the border of my property. Should I try and see, what will come up?

1 Like

My roses on Dr Huey do produce suckers.

How do you know what they are grafted on? I never saw that information on the rose in the store. So, if they do produce suckers, it means it is not much worse to have the Dr. Huey, if I agree on removing suckers?

1 Like

I know they are grafted because after I removed a rose, I still find a sucker popped up in the same spot a few months later. Some of my standard trees have suckers, I have to cut them off frequently. So far I know what roses are multiflora, they are mostly from Palantine, no suckers yet. Heirloom roses are own roots, same with roses from RVR.

Funny article about it: If your rose changed color over the winter, blame it on Dr. Huey. - GardenRant
I think I will remove it before the disaster started)

1 Like

@galinas
I usually mulch the base of my rose bushes by early Nov. last year I got busy and did not do it. It was mild winter until we had the -7 F night .

Most of the cane turned black/brown. I don’t know which ones will survive. Need a couple more weeks to be sure.

Keep me posted!

1 Like