Accidential rose

I did it again. I went to HD to grab a board and couple pieces of rebar. After I packed my car, I noticed I have 15 more minutes of my break time so naturally I went to the garden area. No, I know too well not to even come close to edible stuff. But roses are harmless, right? They do not overwinter well for me anyway… I planted 2-3 every year since 2007 and 0-1 survived 2 years. So now I have about 9 I can generally trust to and the No Vacancy sign is on facade of the rose garden. So looking at the roses is perfectly harmless. That was my thought… I don’t know how that happened that I left garden center with 3 gallon pot in my hands.
That was lyrics… Now to the practical side. The rose is Maurice Utrillo Hybrid Tea Rose. It should be hardy to zone 5 (I am in 5B). That is actually surprising as my HD usually sells zone 6 and up. In case I really will not find a spot for it in the ground - can rose survive at least a summer in the pot? What size of the pot? Can it be self-watering pot or it will create a root rot? Does it make sense to try to overwinter it in the cellar of an old shed that is not air tight(no door) but does create some micro climate. It has soft sand floor and I can bury the pot in. The other option for overwintering is under cover together with persimmon tree with temperature above 20F and pot can be mulched, but not buried.
Back to the lyrics:
That was an accident… I swear!!! :see_no_evil:

8 Likes

Ha! I had a similar accident yesterday. Went to HD to get dirt for the meadow and ended up acquiring a 3 gal potted Ingrid Bergman hybrid tea rose. Thinking of going back tonight and getting another variety.

Sorry, this is pure lyrics. Don’t have answers to your practical questions.

3 Likes

I don’t understand why you cannot overwinter z5 and z4 hardy roses? Do you think they rot over winter with too much water and maybe need raised a bit or maybe there is an issue with the soil of where you are planting?

I got a bunch of roses for my grandma from this place and they did very good and always sent really healthy plants. I wont plant anymore rosacae at my house as thats what most of my fruit trees are and as far as flowers go and im lucky enough to live near tons of wild rose hip roses anyways.

Scratch that it was this place

3 Likes

So you “packed your car”?

Zone 5 and 4 hardy roses what is surviving. But most pretty usually are zone 6, but they do not advertise zone on the pots…

Hey, I am not native English speaker, what did I say wrong?

1 Like

Galina,
It is hard to find a hybrid Tea that survives zone 5. If yours does, it is great. It looks beautiful. There are not many striped roses out there esp. a hardy one.

5 gal pot will be sufficient. Most of potted roses sold are in 3-5 gal pots. It should do well overwintering where temp does not drop below freezing in the winter.

I think I need to check that one out. It is very pretty.

1 Like

Understood i just felt that for that kind of effort we should be getting mangos citrus or lychee :smiley:

A few pretty reliable sources state your very pretty rose is going to be hardy to z5 so i wonder if you just need to give them some wind protection or increase the drainage in your rose bed for better over winter results? Maybe amending with coir? Does it dry out over winter (cant imagine that in MA)? You do great for having english as a second language btw!

If you do keep it in a pot i think the self watering planters would be okay i would assume you would want a 5 gallon or larger that you can still easily move however. That chihuly rose is z5 hardy and just gorgeous.

1 Like

Sorry. I’m not much on second languages either. But I supposed you meant ‘parked’ the car.

No, I mean packed - may be it is wrong in English, I mean I fitted 8 foot board into my car and got ready to leave. If you translate it directly from Russian it will sound like “Packed the car” . I guess it is wrong in English. The language is a thing that you never can learn to the end… At least not me…

4 Likes

My Mother’s Day gift to myself.

I was supposed to be at HD to by Promix. They ran out :grin:

10 Likes

No problem. I’ll remember to be patient in the future. And even some in USA have peculiar accents…and spelling has become bad due to “hooked on foniks” (phonics) they started teaching
to
“skool” kids 30 or so years ago in America.

3 Likes

I wonder about the hardiness of Tea Roses some times, my mother used to be able to overwinter them for a couple of winters at least before they would succumb. She called them temporary roses rather than the usual, disposable tea roses.

My dad built her small wooden boxes about 2 feet high and open to the top that she would put over the bush and fill with leaves. Once the snow cover came they were tucked in pretty good. It was never a permanent solution but she loved tea roses and with these she did not have to buy them every year.

Of course my memory can be a little foggy as well as hers now at 94, but they looked like a tea rose, it is quite possible they were Floribunda or a little hardier type. Either way the method bought her a zone or two.

3 Likes

I think in-ground planting of roses give them a better chance to survive. I have kept of roses that are supposed to be hardy to zone 7 for 10;years now. I planted them deep, a foot deep. Near the house’s foundation. I mulched them thickly in late fall and remove those mulch late like mid April in my zone 6a.

I have never heard of hybrid tea roses that are cold hardy to zone 5 before. We’ll see about this one.

2 Likes

Found these Itoh peonies at Lowe’s today. Very healthy looking plants.

But they are quite pricey.

3 Likes

They are pricey. They don’t even give the variety name, or do they on the tag? If not that type of labeling is what got me into the peony business in the first place. These beauties live and thrive in zone 2 and I could not get anything except pink, white, red, no names and no information so I decided to bring in some so gardeners could at least experience the variety of peonies out there. I ended up with 84 different types and did not even scratch the surface.

4 Likes

Galina,
Here’s my first Maurice opening today. Prettier than the pic.

13 Likes

galinas,
I knew exactly what you meant when you wrote ‘packed my car’ - you’d placed your purchases into it - and I am originally from The Deep South!
As BlueBerry said, different areas of the USA(and world, I suppose) say things differently, ESL was not the issue here, and language within the gardening community/world is not immune to regional differences or oddities.
Hose, garden hose, or hosepipe?
Tulip tree… is that Liriodendron tulipifera or Magnolia x soulangeana?
The list is endless.

4 Likes

Agree. It is perfectly fine to “pack a car” in MA (or maybe, New England, too). The term is commonly used here.

3 Likes

Can i add on that english is the stupidest language in the world. Stick to a rule!

However the sentence structure is amazing and even when i try to use different languages i always revert back to germanic sentence structuring :hushed:

2 Likes