Adara (Puente) Plum - Fruit tree, rootstock & interstem

Hello @danchappell

I live in Denmarl and would like to buy some Adara scions if it possible?

My mail is:
Jkvaaben@gmail.com

Illegal for me to ship to Europe and they would probably be seized or irradiated and killed at customs unless they were smuggled. Perhaps you could make a trip to Spain and get some Adara or Monropos there. Good luck.

hi
i can send you…

Hey Dan! Thanks for sharing this information. I live in California also, I have a cherry tree I’d like to graft a peach onto and was thinking I could use Adara as an intermediary between the two. Is there a chance I could get some sent, I’d be more than happy to reimburse you thru paypal :slight_smile: Thank you!

Hello, if you want I have material, the only thing is that I am from Spain …
I could try to send it to you, the only thing is that I do not take money, if you have some interesting material fine, if not, then I try to send it anyway
Cheers

2 Likes

Hi again Dan,
I tried opening the research links under your post but they may have expired. Wondering if you could send me these via email?
The tree that I recently discovered near my property has all the characteristics of Adara including thorns on its mature scaffolds. This tree is at least 20 years old as I have watched it grow for years not knowing where it came from. If somehow I can verify it’s genus I would be willing to provide scions to others, but for now I am merely wanting to positively ID it.
Dennis
Kent, wa

The first document is still working but the Prune Research report is gone.

From your description, I highly doubt that what you have is Adara since the latter was bred in Spain and released in the early 90’s, feel free to post photos if it still has leaves on.

Maybe what you call Adara is not the same as Prunus cerasifera, which is described in the following excerpt from the Burke Museun in Seattle:
Prunus cerasifera cherry plum
Distribution: Occurring chiefly west of the Cascades crest and in the Columbia River Gorge in Washington, but also in southeastern Washington; British Columbia to California, east to Idaho; also in northeastern North America.
Habitat: Open, disturbed areas typically at low elevations.
Origin: Introduced
Flowers: March-April

I do not have pics when it was fully leaved out, but in spring when it flowers I can document what it looks like.
Dennis

Prunus cerasifera is a species, Adara is a particular variety of that species.

3 Likes

What do the leaves look like? I have a multigraft tree that has cherries, nectarine, peach, apricot, and plum. The tree produced a sucker and I’m not sure if it’s from the rootstock or Adara interstem.

1 Like

It’s purely plum, I can take a photo for you tomorrow, it keeps its leaves really late.

1 Like

Hello
It is a relatively new pattern chosen in Spain by selection, if that pattern is several years old it is difficult for it to be. That yes, it can be a relative

1 Like

1 Like

So glad that this thread got bumped! It is very cool that the Adara plum can make so many types of prunus compatible with each other!

This would be a great addition for anyone wanting to graft these types of fruits :+1:

So am I. I’d love to have access to some of this material as this seems to be pretty much the only rootstock I can use on almost half my property.
So…who’s willing to spread some love? :wink:

Would a peach grafted onto Adara plum tend to be more successful compared to one grafted onto another peach rootstock? I am thinking, given that its much easier to graft plums compared to peaches, does it make sense to double-graft peaches via Adara interstem. I am guessing this shouldn’t work because the problem with grafting peaches is that the rootstock doesn’t have enough push to take on grafts unless they are on top of the tree. This cannot be circumvented using an interstem. I am just curious if anyone tried this.

1 Like

My mother, you are all impressed with the Adara rootstock.
I do not see it available in the United States nurseries , so I suppose as been obtained through some exchange with people in Spain.
When you try the Monrepos rootstock in the United States , you will totally forget about Adara.
Monrepos is infinitely better.

Regards
Jose

I’m impressed with the potentials. Like I mentioned, a large portion of my property will be very wet for most of the winter, and using a rootstock that can accept and even potentially thrive in such conditions, is essential for success. Plums, pluots, and cherries are the fruit I prioritize which is why I’d like something I can use for them all.

Hi @Jose-Albacete,

Adara has been in very limited use here for perhaps 15 years. To my knowledge, it has only been commercially used in the US for converting existing plum orchards to sweet cherries.

Plums sprout up on my property like weeds so it has been useful to use as an interstem for converting the volunteers into sweet cherries.

My climate is somewhat similar to yours but not quite as extreme in terms of high and low temperatures because I am located very close to the San Pablo Bay. I suspect that Monrepos would perform quite well here in California.

Given the chance, I’d love to experiment with Monrepos. Do you have any idea how I can access this plant material?

One final question for you, a couple of people have recently asked me if Adara can be successfully used as an interstem for converting an existing cherry tree to a different stone fruit species. Do you happen to know the answer to this question?

Hi Dan.
If plums grow wild in your orchard, it is essential to use them as rootstock.
They have the disadvantage that they are very vigorous and develop large trees, but they are good rootstocks.
Both Adara and Monrepos are ideal to be compatible with cherry , and to use them directly as rootstock, I prefer Monrepos.
You are fully aware of the restrictions regarding the shipment of plant material from Europe to the United States and vice versa, and it would have to be done by sending cuttings in a package trying to avoid North American Customs, but it is not a good practice.
There is a compatibility study of Adara plum with peach tree, but it is a study of 20 years ago, and it was not investigated with modern varieties of peach.
The results are not very bad, so you could try to try your varieties.

I’m going to send you the document, it is a scanned PDF, so its translation into English is quite complicated, but it is quite understandable

TabuencaMC_ITEA_1991.pdf (1.1 MB)

Regards
Jose

1 Like