Age of scion to be grafted

This picture of over one year Gala scion wood is not an attempt to endorse this method. In fact I think the traditional length is the best for most circumstances.

Bill, are you saying what I think you are - that the scion was cut over a year before it was grafted? If so, I think you did an amazing job of preventing dessication and preserving vitality.

1 Like

I think he might be saying that it’s more than just 1 year wood. I think anyway. It looks like maybe two to three year wood.
I always like seeing what can be done. It gives me an idea of where the outer limits are. :grinning:

Nice work Bill!

1 Like

Oh! Thanks for clearing that up for me.The laugh is on me. I completely misinterpreted that post.

In that case, Bill, it’s still a congratulations from me, and an interesting graft to see the results of. Thank you for the information.

1 Like

After looking at my original post I can see why it would be confusing. I wasn’t sure of the exact age of the scion other than it was over one year wood and as you stated it might be two or three years old. This particular scion is actually grafted onto a standard pear tree via an apple interstem (root callery/fruiting pear/fruiting apple/scion in picture).

Most of my grafting and management of my fruit trees is with approved methods minus my lack of experience. The other side of myself is constantly trying different methods and techniques to see what can be done. I have one more unique graft (4’ scion) that I’m impatiently waiting on the results before posting. I’m not sure what practical use would be for such a long scion graft.

One of the great things about grafting is the off the wall ideas often work. I did a pear graft a few weeks ago which had a too-low grafting point, so I just put on a very long scion and the apical bud is now much higher. Its growing well. Many stocks have extra spots so plenty of room to try out wacky ideas.

Looking at the photo and viewing the downward pointing “branch” I see a ringed nub back maybe 5", then another just before the main limb, and then no more back to where it disappears under the graft tape / plastic. I would then conclude this is three year old wood. Does that sound accurate?

Update on some long and over one year scions.
Pic 001 Did not originally think the old Honeycrisp trunk/scion would take but you just never know until you try.

Long Red Rebel scion is now about 24". It would be nice if it had a couple of apples next season.

1 Like