Aging of a peach tree

Peaches originate in China. You have a ways to go. Their white peaches of which there are many varieties are incredible and large. Yours looks to be a deriviative.

1 Like

I haven’t tasted any of the other saucer yellow peaches but have tries all of Rutger’s creations. I believe TangO’s is the only saucer yellow that is making inroads in the commercial industry on the east coast, but given CA produces most of the nation’s peaches, the yellow ones in the plastic container may be Sauzi which is produced by Dave Wilson.

But every ice cream recipe I’ve ever used has asked for corn syrup and still the ice cream becomes almost as solid as ice. I want ice cream to be as soft as when it is first being made in the ice cream maker. After you stick it in the freezer its ruined. lol

They were pretty damned good I must admit. Would love an entire tree of them. The pits were small and flat and looked more like apricot than peach.

You talking about Saturn? They are the tastiest of whites here, but their shape seems to encourage rot in our humid climate and the birds and the bees can’t get enough of them on good seasons for them. Still they are probably easier to grow than TangO’s so I’m starting to grow them in my nursery again.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Sorbets, Ice Creams, Yogurts and all things Frozen or Slightly Chilled

I was talking abut the yellow “peach pie” peach, it had a very creamy texture like a mango but the taste I could swear was more apricot than peach. When I saw the smooth light brown “plum type” seed it surprised me.

But I would love a Saturn peach tree as well, I also really like them because the fruit stays small. The few times I’ve bought them they were all very dryish though - not as juicy as the white flesh I am used to so they seem to be better for baking with. Some of my trees produce peaches I can juice like oranges and when using to bake thats way too much juice.

Peaches are my fave fruit by far, even more than the delicious watermelon and gold kiwi lol there’s a type for every day or mood. I also really love the white flesh nectarines as I am MAJORLY allergic to the peach fuzz, I break out in hives lol I dunno why I have never tried to grow a nectarine…

Thank you for the reply, I have seriously been looking for peach ice cream with NO success since my grandmother passed away back in 2007. 14 years is a LONG time to not see peach ice cream at a grocery store. i do not know the reason why. Its so strange… yet theres literally 2+ dozen choices with peanut butter or chocolate in it. Bleh. haha

As for the info in your post it is all very accurate - the peaches I grow at home are so very juicy and I realized that was the problem after the first time making ice cream so I put less peaches in smaller chucks and absolutely NO pureed peach and still the ice cream turned into ice. I then tried vanilla without peach and the same thing happened. I’m not sure if its possible to make soft serve ice cream at home and then have it stay “soft” after putting in the freezer. The only ice cream I know that stays soft that way is the DQ Dilly Bar, when you buy a 6 pack of them they will stay “soft” even after being in the freezer a month so there’s gotta be some nasty chemical that makes it stay soft which I prob don;t want anyway =D

It would be nice if I could just drive over to the Kroger or Safeway and just be able to buy a quart or gallon of Peach ice Cream from Dolly Madison or Breyers the way I always did all my life all the way up until maybe 2005-ish. Home made ice cream is freakin DELICIOUS … BUT only for that first hour after being made. You have to eat it all that same day bevcause if you freeze it, it’ll turn to a block of ice that takes the microwave or several minutes of thawing… and it’s a hassle and chore to start from scratch will peeling/pitting all the way to the final product. I dont want to make ice cream every 2 weeks but I could def eat peach ice cream every night before bed.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Sorbets, Ice Creams, Yogurts and all things Frozen or Slightly Chilled

Will one of you fabulous admins please move Oscars tips for fruit ice cream making to the Fruit in the Kitchen category. I just don’t know how to move posts. Thanks so much, Mrs. G. We don’t want to lose these great tips and instructions. Thanks again!

Oscar, both of your posts about ice cream are excellent. Can you please start a new thread for them in the Fruit in the Kitchen category as that is where they really belong. Your info and instructions are wonderful and should not be lost. Maybe you can just cut and paste. I hope so. Thank you so much, Mrs. G

Hi, while we are on the topic of older peach trees I wanted share two of my mums trees. This one is neither pretty or especially impressive but at least 23 years old. It did not recieve much pruning or care until a few years ago, when I cut it back pretty heavily. It had a big crop last year so I thinned it out some more and grafted a few other varieties to it. It reacts pretty well to my pruning and produces young shoots. I’m sure I can get it back in shape. A lot of the new groth is pretty high up an not in the picture.

The other one is a couple of years younger. It is a little bigger and was healthier when I started caring for it. It is loaded with flower buds right now and I’m pretty happy with the shape now.

Both trees are in pretty bad soil, very heavy clay. In the field they grow much bigger. It’s a pretty normal white fleshed peach that grows true to seed. It probably comes from bohemia and has been grown in my family for probably a hundred years. Other trees have survived -30 °C in winter. I really don’t live in a good climate for peaches but rarely lose a crop to late frosts. Last year a -5 °C frost in April thinned the flowers a lot, but there were plenty left.

3 Likes

@mrsg47 Thanks for the compliment Mrs Gibson.

I cannot figuere out how to move the posts to a topic either.

I can make a new topic for it. (just “discovered” there is a fruit in the kitchen catogorie like you said XD)
But id rather do that another time when i have more time. Still got grafts to make.

And if i start a topic i want to do it “properly” verivy/dubblecheck add a few recepies and photo’s if i can find em.

I also wanna search for my handwriten notes and recepies. It’s somwhere in a moving box together with my broken icecream macine. That i still wanna fix, but now am thinking of replacing whith a fancier version. Did not realise how much i miss the homemade icecream till i started writing about it XD

ill start a topic in a few weeks/month and see if i can add the recepies and mabey a link/reference for some of the “principles”

for the time being if you wanna find it back i think you can bookmark posts to find them back.

1 Like

23y old and surviving heavy pruning. Thats still quite impressive.

Or at least to me. Im newer to peach growing. But have looked a lot at other peoples tree’s both in RL and online. They seem to get a lot of blind wood. And verry little to almost no latent buds. Seen a few people kill their tree by pruning it back to far, and no longer having a bud that could grow. Or ofc the peach curl killed enough buds and there weren’t enough viable buds for the tree to recover.

Are you in europe to? Bohemia is in czech right? Or did you take the seeds with you from there?

Im in the EU, and would be intrested in trading some scions or seeds next dormant season. I have no peach tree’s yet. But your variety seems like a really nice one to add. Most peaches here loose a lot of crops to -1 or -2 frost. I can’t offer you much peach scionwood, but i am building quite the collections of apple varieties . and got a few pears plums etc. So maybe we could trade apple scions for peach. Or somthing like that. (also got a few quinces medlars and other stuff)

Great!

Yes, I’m in europe. We can trade scions next winter and I can also send you seeds, it only takes 3-4 years to the first fruit and they make very good rootstocks. Peach leaf curl wasn’t a problem for me in the last years.
These trees certainly have latent buds even on old (~10y) wood. I usually cut them quite high in spring and a second time a few months later just above the ne shoots.

1 Like

I have many such trees that I manage- 3 on my own property. I haven’t commented on the magical white peach that is the topic here but it has not been pruned in a manner of any peach tree I have access to. Vigorous peach trees always require heavy pruning to keep fresh wood growing reasonably close to the ground and exposed to full sun.

One thing so impressive about the fruit in Colorado’s photos is their size coming from a tree that does not seem “properly” managed at all. It would be a nightmare to thin the fruit in that tree so I’m wondering if it isn’t a shy bearer that produces relatively small crops because of low fruit set. That would help it to produce larger fruit.

When they say peaches normally live to be 15 years old, they are talking not about the natural life-span of the trees but when they are culled because of a reduction in productivity per acre that makes them commercially worthless. Margins are tight, after all.

1 Like

I’m not fabulous, just super awesome :wink: but I think I successfully moved Oscar’s ice cream posts to the Fruit and Kitchen category.

If anyone wants to see Oscars extremely helpful ideas and tricks on making ice cream soft, along with some hints using fruit in ice cream, head on over to this existing topic in the Fruit and Kitchen category. The topic is linked above where I moved the posts, but here it is again.

5 Likes

Well now I dont know how to reply to Oscar about his ice cream. I dont see why it mattered, they were both about peaches/peach trees. =/ He surely looks like he knows what he’s doing I wish I knew someone like him in town so I could pay them tpo make my ice cream for me haha

Anyw ay awesome pictures Tom I swear that red metal roof looks like the funeral home near my house and the house next door does have peach trees too hahah. I know youre not in Denver but it could have fooled me. I like the shape of your pruned tree I have several 15-18 yr old trees and one thats about 26 and then my old 40 yr old tree and I never pruned any of my trees and they turn into wild multi trunked monstrosities lol