All good things must come to an end

Thai hot pepers are not as hot as habaneros but it also does not have a strong odor that habanero does. So, a dish aroma cooked with Thai hot pepper will not be overshadowed by the hot pepper’s.

If you think Thai hot peppers you grow here are small, you should see a special type of our “garden” type. It is about half or 1/3 the size of the one growing here but it packs a strong punch. I miss it. I have not seen them sell anywhere in the US.

It probably won’t have a market here as people here seems to like things that are large/big or even humongus.

1 Like

Yes, didn’t Bob take a photo? I have to try that one. It looked very productive. This one is OK in production. Still I like using fresh and don’t want a ton of them.

Have you looked at all the pepper seed sites? Also some international sites that offer thousands of peppers. Where is it from? Sounds like a wild pepper if smaller than Thai.

Yes. here is info on it

Doux D’ Espagne Sweet Pepper - This variety was introduced before 1860.
In the 1880’s, this pepper was shipped to the large markets in Paris from
warmer areas like Algeria and Valencia. In the 19th century the 6-7-inch
long fruit were among the largest offered, and popular with cooks.
It produces long, cone-shaped peppers that are perfect for frying and
salads. They are sweet and flavorful, but hardly ever offered in America.
A good-producing pepper that is reported to be disease resistant.
Heirloom Doux D’Espagne Pepper also known as Spanish Mammoth because of
it’s large sized fruit.The 6" - 7" peppers of Doux D’Espagne start out
green and ripen to a deep red color. Doux D’Espagne Pepper grow upon
large plants that produce excellent amounts of cone shaped fruit.
These are a good choice for frying peppers. 90 days until harvest.
Purchased from Azure Dandelion Herb N Art Store

Mamuang,

I think I know what kind of pepper you’re talking about. It’s a tiny 1/2" of wacking power that burns its way in and burns its way out, at least that’s for me! But I remember back home, the people loves to eat hot peppers has high regard to that variety!

Tom

Drew I would love to grow this pepper. Peppers do not do well by the coast. The humidity and peppers do not get along. I have parts of my garden that get sun all day long and I still have a hard time getting pepper to grow to any reasonable size. I’ll try it though. Thanks so much.

Thai hot are about the size of the pinky nail and green turning red pointing straight up on the small plant …hot hot hot! Thai hot dragon is a long pepper about 2-3 inches long hangs down which is hotter than jalapeño but not as hot as habenero. We pull the plant and hang them upside down to dry them or dry them on long thread. The pepper thing is more my moms thing than mine though I help her as she needs it. I wanted to distinguish the difference in thai peppers because its significant.

We didn’t get a freeze here, The pepper forest continues on…

Well, my Thais are 2" long and point up. Not many could bear the bite of biting on one. So much hotter than my hottest Jalapenos and the heat spreads into the flesh instead of concentrating in the seeds.

1 Like

Alan,
That sounds like them accept bigger must be improved or a little different variety but they set my hands on fire just picking them off the plant! One per small pot of chili on those Thai hots! Here is a link http://m.bonnieplants.com/varieties/tabid/61/id/113/Thai-Hot-Ornamental.aspx maybe you get more water. They got an inch long for them but only about 1/2 or slightly larger for me and we don’t water them.

I would as mine was in partial shade. it still grew well. I don’t have a photo of one fully ripe, they are so deep red, the deepest of reds, beautiful. I will take a photo when the one pictured is ripe.
The Carmine hybrid mentioned might be worth trying too. Johnny’s Seed I think has them? They have peppers for colder zones, great site!
I worked my butt off in the garden today. i have 4 different species tulips, also called botanical tulips. they are very small but always come back. I also planted a couple regular ones, and some other bulbs. i didn’t finish though.
I have daffodils and two species tulips and 2 regular
Species tulips to plant yet
Persian Pearl
Dasystemon Tarda

Regular
Burning Heart (Darwin)
World Expression

I planted today
Species:
Turkestanica
Lilac Wonder

Regular:
Angelique
Estella Rijnveld

I think the commonly used chili in Thailand is called bird’s eye chili pepper. It is about an inch long. The chili pepper variety Alan grows is also commonly used. Picky cooks use different varieties of chilis for different kinds of dishes and dips.

The highly valued variety is very small, less than an inch long. People like it because it has nice fragrance and is very hot for its size. Not always easy to find in markets.

I think Tom described what could happen when you eat those chilis very well.

1 Like

That Spanish Mammoth fruit, well one of them is ripe. It produced fruit all year, although has a lot on it now too.

1 Like

looking back on this old post already missing the 2018 fruits and vegetables!

I’m kind of relieved the season is over. Towards the end of season I had so much trouble with the groundhogs that it was painful to see things growing few inches only to be groundhog food. Now that it’s all over I’m going to recharge so I can fight them better next season. If summer doesn’t turn into winter, if we at least have few days in the 60’s I will get a lot of structural things done around the yard. Need to add couple of fence panels, need edges around peach trees, also need to build a raised bed and move one of the peach trees. Just waiting for the leaves to fall. Everything is still very green. Light frost the other day didn’t bother them. Fall is welcome in my yard.

1 Like

Susu, grow more fruittree’s like me, groundhogs can’t clime but then you still have to worry about the others, for them my brother Ruger take care of.
My fun started somewhere around July and will last to about March.

1 Like

No kidding! Thats Why I’m going after my green tomatoes this fall. Just don’t want to pull my plants yet or even say goodbye to summer. If only my stone fruit wasn’t a bust(except for my Elbertas and a handful of mirabelles); but when it come to other tomatoes and one almost wrinkled white eggplant, this is the end of my veggies that are ripe and not frost bitten!

3 Likes

Good riddance to an all-time sucky season for growing fruit in NY- at least from about mid-spring on. The species I grow were not bred to thrive in a rain forest. Only blueberries performed normally.

Hopefully the more normal weather we are receiving now will at least lead to acceptable storage apples, especially Goldrush. Pink Lady is already showing signs of corking- I guess it’s hard for some varieties to get enough calcium in near constant rain.

2 Likes

I honestly have to say……… I won’t miss this year when it comes to my fruit trees and garden… other than the late season planting of about 20 plus trees, that came from last years grafts, it has been a lousy year at the best.

Time to store the remaining 30 potted grafts from this years into the ground to protect from freezing and look forward to a better year ahead.

If one thing I have learned, minimal spraying both fungicide and insecticide doesn’t work here in my Ohio Orchard. I don’t see a spray free crop ever if I want to produce an abundance of fruit.

3 Likes

@alan

I concur although my Flavor King, Dapple Dandy, and Geo Pride were fantastic.

Here, I have Goldrush, Horse and Arkansas Black still on the tree. Weather forecast here call for 27 - 28 degree overnight on Wed. &Thursday.

I hope they make it.

Mike

As long as it doesn’t drop to about 5 degrees below forecast they will probably be fine.

1 Like

Well, since we’ve had temps at, or just below freezing, I picked what was left of the peppers. We had a nice harvest of bells, Habanero, some jalapenos, and a small amount of 7-pot’s.

Bells, mostly Lady Belle, very prolific and quick ripening. We cut these up and sealed them up in Foodsaver bags, and put in the freezer.

Big batch of Habanero, prob should have picked them sooner, as they were a bit over-ripe. We used some of these to make another 7 half-pints of Habanero Gold jelly. The rest will be dehydrated and/or made into hot sauce.

Some jalapenos, prob will slice and pickle these.

Balloon peppers, very unique shape, almost like a cap, but the flavor isn’t very good.

In first pic, some Beaver Dam, a medium hot banana, maybe my favorite, and Bubblegum 7-pot pods; and ripe and unripe White 7-pot in second pic. Will be making sauce with the 7-pot’s. I had a small slice of a BBG 7-pot, yep, still hot!

Overall, a decent pepper crop this year. Next year, we’ll try the Lady Belle, Beaver Dam, Ancient Sweet, Habanero, and Jalapeno again, and maybe some more 7-pots, but not much else, we’ve canned way more than we need over the last few years.

9 Likes