All good things must come to an end

Wow!!!

I was going to ask you about that. I still have my 3 apple bench grafts in pots. Would it be OK to go ahead and take them out of the pots and plant them in their new homes? They still have a few leaves still on them, would it be better to wait until all the leaves are gone?
Wasn’t Goldrush developed at Purdue? Ever hear of them? I understand they have a very nice campus, ever been there? Supposedly it’s very beautiful there, especially in the fall.

Yeah, my peppers weren’t quite as prolific as a year with a more normal number of blue-sky days but I still got more than I need.

I recommend you try Carmine, the only sweet pepper I bother to grow anymore. It isn’t the ideal stuffing pepper but is insanely productive of the sweetest red peppers I’ve ever grown, and I’ve grown many varieties. Because of this one, I need never buy peppers anymore- my freezer is bursting with diced Carmine’s.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info, I’ll look into Carmine. I grow a lot of different peppers, and a lot of them are just bland, not really sweet, other than a few red bells I grow, along with Ancient Sweet and Beaver Dam. Neither one is super productive, but still good enough for me to grow next year. Lady Belle, a hybrid, was very prolific early on, and kept producing until the freezes. The super hot ones have some flavor, but are soon taken over by the searing heat.

Edit: I just loooked for Carmine, and they’re a hot pepper, are you maybe referring to Carmen? It’s this sweet elongated bell:

After reading up on Carmen, they’re saying it’s the similar to the Corno di Toro Rosso, which I have grown in the past. They were productive, but the flavor wasn’t that sweet. But, they were in bad soil at the time, so I might have to try them again in more fertile soil.

I believe you ment Carmen.

Yes, you have it. Carmen, like the opera.

Dang, you would have to mention Purdue!!! Now figure out your own potting!!!

Now is a great time to plant. I just have no place for my new grafts and will just put the whole pot in the dirt.

1 Like

Thanks Bob. What’s the fencing for, deer protection? What varieties do you have potted?

I remember last year you did some pear grafting, how did those turn out?

I have a Goldrush, Suncrisp and Snapp Stayman, all on M7. Haven’t figured out where to put them yet. We had a few nights near freezing, but I guess they are OK. I might end up doing what you’re doing. If I do bury them in the pots, does it matter if the graft union is below ground level?

Sorry (kinda) about the Purdue bit. :grin: I’m still bitter about what happened in the Cotton Bowl a couple weeks ago, but the good part is that it cost the def. coordinator his job, which should have happened after the Rose Bowl.

Yes the deer are hard on the young trees around here. Apple, peaches, pears, plums, and yes Jujubees in pots.

Pears are Harrow Sweet, Dripping Honey and another I want to say Li Yu.

Apples Adam Pearman , Spitz, Suncrisp, Russet, johnagold, Goldrush
And a few others

All pots dirt levels are even or below ground level for the most part.

Lots of rootstock of all.

Pears did so so better grafted to an older tree.

2 Likes

Thanks Bob.

Sounds like a nice variety of fruits. What kind of Russet, Golden, Roxbury? Do you propagate your rootstocks?

We planted a Harrow Sweet last year, from Adams County. It hasn’t grown a lot the last couple years, along with the same age Maxine tree next to it. I had a 3ft cage around the HS, and one day back in the summer, I found the cage had been pushed over with the tree bent over in it! It broke off one of the limbs, but the rest of tree was OK. I was wondering how that happened, maybe a buck pushed it over?

1 Like

3 ft tall or 3 ft circumference? I guess it is for rabbits, right?

Actually, it is both Golden and Roxbury, also a Wickson I didn’t mention. I do propagate some rootstock, apples in the past. This year may do some plum rootstock. I have left over plum and peach rootstock and a few apples that didn’t take as well as was just too small at the beginning of the year. Next year I will cut back on grafting to only the rootstock I have left over… I have some nice pear rootstock that I will be looking for some special scion wood for. I ate a Korean Giant from a one of my grafts that was only grafted in early 2017 to a large existing tree.

I did start a Frankenstein tree with several Pixie Crunch, Hoople, Russets, and a few more. They all took off well, we will see what I get next spring.

Bucks will get their antlers caught in the fence/wire and make a mess. Last year I had a cage around a tree and I had the limbs tied to the cage to hold them down and a buck got his rack caught in it and made a mess. I was able to save the tree Fuji) but tore up several limbs.

1 Like

It is a 3ft (or in most cases 4ft) tall welded wire fence, with 1x2 inch openings. I take the fencing and form a perimeter around the tree. The diameter of the fencing depends on the spread of the tree’s branches. Some branches have exceeded the fence perimeter, so they get exposed to browsing. I have to expand the perimeter out as the branches spread out more.

The fencing is mostly for deer, but effective for rabbits, even though we don’t have a lot of issues with them. Rodents like voles or moles, etc, could get through, but they’re not a real concern, either.

On my two big pear trees, I’ve removed all the fencing as the deer seem to leave pears alone, compared with apples.

The cages look jakey, but I have to do it, or the trees would likely get damaged or even ruined. Some of my trees are getting quite big, so I may remove the fencing off them as they would likely survive some browsing.

I’ve been protecting trees for years with 5’ tall, 10" length of 14 gauge fencing and a single stake. 4’ doesn’t work well for our deer, and all we have are white-tail- and there are herds of them everywhere I install an orchard without deer fencing protecting the property as a whole.

These days most of the trees I sell are well above the browse line, however, so now I usually only need a 3’ tall ring around trunks to prevent buck rubbing. It’s surprising but true that 3’ is enough- FOR OUR DEER.

1 Like

I know , I know. Before you say anything.

???

Oh just thought you would rib me about a score, unless you’re just waiting for next Saturday. :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Oh no, like they say, “any given Saturday”, or some such. I actually watched the end of the Maryland game, very interesting. If their QB had seen that guy in the end zone on that 2pt conversion earlier, he probably wouldn’t have missed him.

Gutsy try, but came up short. I had to go through that with Okie State, they tried a 2pt try at the end of their game against the Sooners for the win, but their QB missed his guy too. After seeing OU give up 30 something against Kansas (???!!), I’m not expecting a win against WV next Friday. They’ve weathered the storm this season only because they might have the best offense in the country, but their sieve of a defense kinda cancels that out.

At least y’all get Michigan at the 'Shoe, so anything can happen, especially in a rivalry game. Records mean nothing in such games, the favorite doesn’t always win. Plus, I don’t think Harbaugh has beaten OSU yet has he?

I’m kinda rooting the Bucs to knock out UM, so we might have a chance to sneak into that 4th playoff spot, but we have to take care of business, first WV and then Texas again in the conf championship game. But that’s a lot of presumptions.

I’ll post something in the college team thread in the Lounge next week, as we’re leading this thread off course…

1 Like