All parafilm is not equal

That’s what I buy. You have to pull off a cover That is over the tape but I have found that if you stretch the piece while the cover is still on it will shred and be easy to get hold of and pull off. I usually split mine into two narrow pieces before stretching it so it’s not as bulky. I have cut some of them if they stay until fall without cracking but it removes easier than electrical tape. I put it over parafilm so it doesn’t stick straight on the bark.

3 Likes

I use the parafilm "nursery grafting tape "on virtually all my grafts with great results.
A single stretched layer to seal moisture in scions.
Multiple twisted wraps to secure whip and tounge .
Sometimes adding a budding rubber on longer scions in windy areas in the field.
I like that it does not have to be removed,
Rarely has it failed to do its job until the scion has healed .
And I do "a lot “of grafts each year.
What I can say is that not all " batches " are equal.
Even from the same supplier , same box brand, some rolls are brittle , will break too soon when stretched, a " bad batch”.
Where the next box is good.
I firmly rub it with my fingers after stretching / wrapping to get it to stick to itself.
Pulling off a piece several inches long, and warming it in your closed hand for 5 -10 seconds just befor stretching makes it more workable on a cold day.

6 Likes

@Bradybb,
My experience with Temflex mirrors @k8tpayaso.

When Temflex is stretched well, I do not need to cut it off. Overtime, it comes off on its own in the pale New England sun :grinning:

It may not come off in the fall of the same year but will come off the following spring.

Here is the peach graft done in the spring of 2019. Temflex is coming off now.

5 Likes

What about good old rubber strips to bind the union together? And then wrap with parafilm after they union is held together?

For really soft wood (citrus, tropicals), I just use a piece of rolled up, stretched buddy tape to bind the union. And then wrap that with buddy tape. This works great with chip budding as well.

1 Like

We are here to share what grafting materials that work well for us.

However, I’ve always maintained that grafters should use whatever work for them.

5 Likes

Well said! And I maintain that the care and attention one takes matters more than the stuff used. After all, grafting has been around a lot longer than Parafilms, polyethelene, Temflex, BuddyTape, you name it.

Maybe this year, just to prove my point, I’ll try a simple graft with “found” materials, no modern stuff allowed. Since I don’t know any flint nappers I’ll have to use a knife … hmmm … details to be announced.

Oh, and it will be on a pear tree! (And I’ll bet we have somebody here who could do the flint napping, too.)

6 Likes

Two years ago I lost my roll of grafting tape, and proceed to slice strips from garden soil bags. Not a problem, but might have been a girdling problem if I hadn’t cut them off in mid summer.
Many years ago tried rubber bands and beeswax and didn’t succeed.

4 Likes

Sure, but for those of us who perform hundreds of grafts, efficiency is as important as efficacy. I find grafting a tedious enterprise after the first hour and time is also money.

For the hobbyist, it may not be tedious at all, but an escape from tedium.

6 Likes

mark,
I do some knapping, and have skinned and gutted deer with a flint/chert flake… don’t know, however, that i could make a good grafting cut with a flint blade, but for pears/apples, it doesn’t have to be all that good.
Had a friend relate watching her granddad grafting apples…bound the union with cotton string and sealed it with a liberal slathering of fresh manure from the family milk cow.

10 Likes

I was thinking of that, Lucky! I think I can imagine a flake that a person could cut into bark with, maybe sever a bud, but how about preparing a scion for a bark graft? Instead of topping the rootstock with a saw one might be able to bend it enough to break it, but it would be ragged as all get out.

But even in antiquity they had ways to form and use rope and fabric, to saw; before that there were animal hides. And there was beeswax, olive oil, … and fresh manure! Horse tail could be used to bind,but also reeds and some strips of bark. Makes me wonder just how long grafting has been done - whether there’s any record of it as long ago as, say, Moses. This is from Wikepedia:

China

According to recent research: “grafting technology had been practiced in China before 2000 BC”.[25] Additional evidence for grafting in China is found in Jia Sixie’s 6th century CE agricultural treatise Qimin Yaoshu (Essential Skills for the Common People) .[26] It discusses grafting pear twigs onto crab apple, jujube and pomegranate stock (domesticated apples had not yet arrived in China), as well as grafting persimmons. The Qimin yaoshu refers to older texts that referred to grafting, but those works are missing. Nonetheless, given the sophistication of the methods discussed, and the long history of arboriculture in the region, grafting must have already been practiced for centuries by this time.

Greece and Rome, and Islamic Golden Age

In Greece, a medical record written in 424 BCE contains the first direct reference to grafting. The title of the work is On the Nature of the Child and is thought to be written by a follower of Hippocrates. The language of the author suggests that grafting appeared centuries before this period.

In Rome, Marcus Porcius Cato wrote the oldest surviving Latin text in 160 BCE. The book is called De Agri Cultura (On Farming Agriculture) and outlines several grafting methods. Other authors in the region would write about grafting in the following years, however, the publications often featured fallacious scion-stock combinations.

During the European Dark Ages, Arabic regions were experiencing an Islamic Golden Age of scientific, technological, and cultural advancement. Creating lavishly flourished gardens would be a common form of competition among Islamic leaders at the time. Because the region would receive an influx of foreign ornamentals to decorate these gardens, grafting was used much during this period.[24]

7 Likes

I just got your message about the parafilm if you still have some available give me a call Vicki 850-630-6804 and I’ll give you my address

sent both types, the thinner one is backed w/ like wax paper and a general-use film covering for laboratory use (wrapping petri dishes, etc.), the thicker one SOLD for grafting has no backing.

Fwiw the thinner one is a BIT softer than it should be, it’s like 15+ yrs old and apparently the stuff does degrade over time, but it is still much more stretchable. It bothers me that it tears more than it should, but of the 2 it is still my favorite. I really do not like the grafting parafilm… :frowning:

1 Like

Big fan of buddy tape everyone, big fan!

@k8tpayaso

When I use electrical tape I apply it with the sticky side out not facing the bark.

When it comes to removal there is no danger of stripping bark.

Mike

6 Likes

That’s interesting. But, I’ll stick with the 300 foot rolls of clear plastic 1/2 inch wide, with grafting wax as the last step. Just ordered another roll from amleo.com yesterday.

:slightly_smiling_face:
@BlueBerry

It takes all types of apples to make applesauce.

Mike

2 Likes

You might be reasonably skeptical…
but I got my complete order from A M Leonard
T O D A Y!!

:slight_smile:
Great service company.
Great products.

I use Parafilm M, its cracking fast. Better to use parafilm Buddytape!

Once again… Parafilm M (my go-to) is only for keeping scion & union from dessicating. It has no structural strength, and while it will persist ON the scion/rootstock for a year or more, it will rapidly begin to crack (I’m talking within just a few days in full sun), over cuts/edges if there’s no ‘supporting’ material, like grafting/budding rubbers,grafting tape, or even something as simple as masking tape(for rapid-callusing stuff like pears/apples).
Parafilm ‘grafting tape’… IDK… in my one or two experiences using it, I found it vastly inferior to the Parafilm M that I ‘grew up with’, as regards stretch and sealing-to-itself, so I don’t use it.

1 Like

@BlueBerry

Don’t get me wrong.

I have half a shed full of stuff I got from and regularly use from AMLEO.com.

What I meant was that there is not “ONE & ONLY right way” to get get things done.

I try to remain more flexible mentaly than the physical flexibility that that my calenderitis ( many days on the calendar) has inflicted on me :grin:

Mike

1 Like