“All scuppernongs are muscadines, but not all muscadines are scuppernongs,”

If you grow muscadines this link might be of interest to you.

1 Like

I just planted a Lane Muscadine recommended by Dr Powells son and bought from their nursery located in Jemison AL (a little plug for a beautiful place Petal from the Past). My second leaf hybrid Southern Home grape is loaded with buds and I’m hoping have enough to sample and share with my Grands.

1 Like

I’ve just planted six Muscadines.

Black Beauty (2)
Cowart (2)
Fry (1)
Unknown cultivar (1)

I’ve never grown them before and I’m really excited. I’ve had to research a lot but here are photos of the work in progress.

And here is one peeking out the top of the grow tube. It surprises me how fast they grow.

I know it’s late in the year but hopefully we can get a good start.
Katy

2 Likes

I found that article earlier today…good one!

1 Like

Your setup looks great. Several years ago I had three muscadine vines and they produced more than I wanted to pick. Other than a heavy winter pruning they are a very easy to grow. Bill

2 Likes

I’m looking for cuttings of Lane, Sweet Jenny, and Darlene if anyone could sell me a few cuttings or is interested in trading for some please let me know.

1 Like

Unfortunately I pruned all my muscadines about two weeks ago. The only variety I haven’t pruned is one Southern Home which I was saving for my Grand to help with. I’m reducing SH in favor of other varieties but it is available if you have any use for cuttings from it.

I have Lane and Darlene. I plannned to prune mid February. They are both young plants — will be three year old plants this spring.