All things tractors thread

I see that you can buy them used, not that I need one

One thing Iā€™d mention about skid steers is that they get stuck easy. They will pretty much get stuck anywhere a 4x4 pickup will, which is a lot of places. A tractor will plow through those places.

2 Likes

There was a guy with a forestry unit on his 125 horse CAT skid steer out here. He could clear anything in his way. That being said I pulled him out of deep mud twice with my 4 wheel drive 75 horse tractor. :+1:

2 Likes

Does that have anything to do with whether they are wheeled or tracked?

Thatā€™s a good point Lois. Every year I hire a skid steer to move mulch for me. Sometimes itā€™s a track machine and sometimes wheeled. Like Dutch, Iā€™ve had to pull them out a couple times in mud. Both times it was a wheeled machine which got stuck. Wheeled machines have too small of tires and donā€™t have the aggressive tread that a tractor has.

The track machines definitely get around in mud better. I donā€™t know if they will go through as deep mud as a tractor can though. But maybe? Part of the problem is the clearance is pretty low on a skid steer.

His was tracksā€¦ He was in some really bad stuff though. We used a log chain so I didnā€™t go down in where he was. It was still a bit sketchy for me. Ag tires are a must IMOā€¦

This farmer has come up with a pretty ingenious way to keep from getting stuck in the mud. Kinda funny!

3 Likes

Thatā€™s how my back feels these days :slight_smile: Clunk, clunk!

1 Like

So this tractor will be auctioned locally tomorrow and Im considering bidding. Any feedback about this make/model would be appreciated. Also curious what you think would be a ā€˜good dealā€™ on this tractor?

XR4040H LS MFWD-540, 3 pt, 2 hyd, 130 hrs w/LL4102 LS loader

p_385e833310a787423fcc22534ed545ca

1 Like

Iā€™m not familiar with that brand of tractor, but based on its low hours and a front end loader, it could cost a pretty penny. Here is a thread I found about this model from 3 years ago that might help.

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/ls-tractor-buying-pricing/350828-xr4040h-vs-xr4140h.html

Perhaps @Steve333 or @olpea could comment?

2 Likes

Not personally familiar with MF tractors. But a fellow at work had one several years ago that he liked a lot. Not sure if it was this exact model, but did look similar.

2 Likes

I bought a XR4140H (no cab) new a year ago and have had no problems at all, seems like you get a lot for money with LS.

2 Likes

Their wikipedia page is interesting: LS Tractors - Wikipedia

2 Likes

Iā€™m not familiar with LS tractors. They are probably built decently. The risk can be parts for the machine in the future. There are so many tractor companies which have gone by the wayside for which parts canā€™t be found.

3 Likes

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/ls-tractor-buying-pricing/377970-would-you-buy-ls-again.html

It says this on the Wiki-

In North America, they have been sold as LG Montana, Montana, Farmtrac LandTrac, LongAgri LandTrac, McCormick Tractors and Landini.

I have seen Farmtrac and McCormick tractors.

And,

New Holland Ag also imports LS tractors to resell as LS-New Holland. (They originally had agreements with Fiat, which purchased New Holland. New Holland is a division of CNH Global).

I was wondering if it might have had a New Holland connection given its blue color. Not that that means anything, but in the tractor world, color kinda tells you what the company might be. But man, itā€™s hard to tell who owns who now.

1 Like

Got my tractor out today, I havenā€™t mowed our pasture all summer and it looks like a savanna out there, so thought I should bush hog it, prob tomorrow. Itā€™s just full of flowering weeds and my allergies are in full force this year, so that will be pleasant.

I made the mistake of trying to hook up the 3 point by myself, I took prob 15-20 minutes trying to back up to that blasted bush hog hitch, and just couldnā€™t get the two lower hitches to line up. Sigh.

I gave up and had to ask my wife to help me line it up and hook it up finally. That took abt 5 minutes. Took a little longer to get the PTO shaft attached, but itā€™s ready to go for tomorrow.

Itā€™s a South Korean Tractor. It has had problems getting into the Mainstream because of Reliability. I left a few Links above that will give you the story on LS tractorsā€¦along with some real life reviews. The one in my town went out of business due to lack of corporate backing a few years agoā€¦

1 Like

WIKI is crapā€¦ Sorry, It just isā€¦

Yah, it is for political stuff, but it is okay for some other things. I was on it last night reading up on the classic old Hollywood stars, donā€™t know how reliable the info is, but thought it was interesting reading about Bogart, Sinatra, Spencer Tracy, Lauren Bacall, etc.