All things tractors thread

Oh, I’m not worried about the tractor, I just wonder if the new shaft can handle the tractor’s hp. The shaft is rated at 53hp at 1000rpm, 35hp at 540rpm, which is what my pto is rated at. I’m guessing it’ll be okay.

I don’t know what brand of bush hog it is or what hp it’s rated at.

1 Like

I wouldn’t have any qualms with using a series 4 shaft on a 5ft bush hog.

All of my experience is on a little Kubota with less than 15 HP at the PTO. I’ve got the opposite problem trying to run implements better suited to more power.

I feel silly attaching a 40 or 50 pound series 5 shaft to my little Kubota to run the stump grinder.

2 Likes

Ok thanks, Jafar, I appreciate your help. I went ahead and ordered it, should be here around Wednesday. I got some Amazon gift cards for my birthday (a couple days ago), so it just cost me about $80 total.

2 Likes

My new PTO shaft came in today. Looks good, but can’t put it on now, it’s starting to rain here.

I’m curious as to why there’s a small chain on the cover, what’s that for?

2 Likes

@subdood_ky_z6b
That chain is supposed to be attached to the brush hog (implement) frame to prevent the safety cover from spinning.
So the shaft turns inside the cover, safety cover should not turn

3 Likes

Thanks, that’s what I did when I put it on, one chain attached to the tractor the other one to the mower frame. Looks good on there.

Took it out into the pasture and did a bit of mowing, everything seems to work fine. Too wet to do too much today, probably finish it in a couple days.

Thanks again @murky for the recommendation.

2 Likes

You’re welcome. I’d get some grease into the U-joints on both ends, and into the guard at those plastic zerk/nipples near where the chain connects.

3 Likes

Already did it, just used some general grease that I use for my tractor suspension joints.

2 Likes

Bush Hog brand uses that type shaft.

1 Like

Looking for opinions. Would this be a good tractor for orchard use and maintaining my 40 acres? A friend thinks I should go with the frame size one step larger, but Im thinking I might be better served with a smaller tractor for mowing and regular orchard activities and then maybe getting and older rear wheel drive 2 sizes larger, maybe in the 70hp range for larger tasks… Opinions appreciated I found one with low hours, loader and the JD 72 inch belly mower that would be handy I think.

https://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/003/6/8/3687-john-deere-4400.html

1 Like

It might be alright for mowing and smaller tasks. I guess it depends on what other jobs you are foreseeing doing in the future. But, if you’re going to mow 40 acres, a belly mower would take quite a while. But I saw that you can get a 5 or 6ft belly mower, so that might be okay. But, maybe a bigger tractor with a pull behind bush hog might be a better fit.

I have a mid sized 40hp John Deere with a 5ft bush hog (you can see it in previous posts where I just changed out the PTO shaft) and it takes me at least 2 hours to mow our 3 acre pasture. We actually have 50 acres but most of it is hilly, heavily forested and unaccessible. We maintain a couple acres where our buildings, gardens and orchard are, about 2 acres with a 48in riding mower and push mower.

1 Like

Yeah it comes with the 72" belly mower which would work good between rows of my haskap and other berries. I wont be mowing the entire property, I will probably be tilling a decent sized garden every year, mowing a yard eventually that will be maybe 5 acres max, probably less. Moving dirt and manure and and my bees around, on pallets, etc.

2 Likes

How many acres are you actually going to mow?

1 Like

I think that JD4series tractor should do good for mower duty and medium duty tasks. I used one at work for mowing and it was pretty intuitive in general. I also had a 2 series at home and the best thing about it was the rotary snowblower. The midmount implements are a nice feature of the subcompacts. Unfortunately the Tractor stayed at that last place.

I also think it’s smart to be considering the limits of the machine if you need any serious tillage. Or hire a neighbor/ rent a bigger one. Subcompact’s aren’t much fun to do fieldwork with. Short wheelbase getting banged around… but that 4series could probably tow a decent size manure/drop spreader and fit a berry operation well.

Currently I have a Ford 4000, abt 60hp and its nice for bucket work and medium sized hobby tillage tasks - the clutch wears out my knee; its not a little hobby landscaping tool for zippy yard futzing. Most days I miss the ease of use and the maneuverability of the more compact machine. I could probably make due with 20hp less but since I have it I’m trying to put up a little hay as well.

3 Likes

Probably not the intent of this thread but can someone tell me what this was used for and if possible, manufacturer and approximate time frame it would have been used? Thanks.

5 Likes

@SpudDaddy

Cant fully see it but the back wheels look like old horsedrawn peice of equipment or early 1900s - 1930s equipment. . Is there a seat that sticks up in the air back there? The big wheel on top is throwing me off. As an example a horse drawn hay rake looks like this. The front part of your photo looks to heavy for horses. The photos below are not my mine they came from the internet.

images.jpeg-2
images.jpeg-1

My guess on date is between 1900 - 1930 based on the wheels. Some bailers looked similar, or other hay equipment.

A new roadside draw – The Journal

1 Like

There does not appear to be a seat although it may be missing. I thought a hay bailer also but the design does not look right although it is highly likely that pieces are missing. The design looks like it was made to be pulled by machinery but that is a guess.

2 Likes

@SpudDaddy

Yes if there is no seat on the equipment that means its early steel wheel tractor equipment. My guess in that case is something like this is what pulled it. That tonque looked to heavy for horses or oxen. That wheel on the back runs something up or down or side to side we need to know what that adjustment wheel does.
0bc7a9c2-61a0-4eb4-80fa-c397ab151d4c_d.jpeg

1 Like

Maybe part of some old fire fighting equipment? Top wheel might be where the hose was coiled on. And on the back I see some kind of steering wheel?

2 Likes

@subdood_ky_z6b

My old plow from that time frame has a similar wheel used to raise or lower the plow blades.

1 Like