All things tractors thread

Nope. Farm tractors in the U.S. are completely unregulated. The way life should
be!

Thanks Iā€™ll see if itā€™s around here. Looks like itā€™d work in my 1981 John Deere.

I still havenā€™t disked my garden plots yet, itā€™s been so wet here, I couldnā€™t get them plowed until last week. We seem to go two days nice weather, then two days of rain, very frustrating. Have to put down multiple applications of Surround on my trees as it gets washed off in heavy rains.

1 Like

Last fall I got a 5g pail of universal fluid from Tractor Supply, it was on sale at like $35. Just checked and they still have it but the price is up to $50 a pail.

From the checking I did back then, the ā€œgenericā€ stuff is still high quality (meets various manufactureā€™s specs), but they do make it in different viscosities. You just need to check which spec/thickness oil you need and grab the right one.

1 Like

If you only have a small garden, you still need a tractor. 10 years later you still know you did the right thing. I should kept the 2 I had. Still pā€¦ā€¦d!

We have a 72" Ford 930A PTO driven finish mower I use to mow the orchard. I need new mower blades for it and am having a hard time finding them. I need three 24" left handed blades with a 1" center hole. It appears the 1" center hole is whatā€™s difficult to find. Case/NewHolland notes them as unavailable. Anybody have a good source for finish mower blades? Largest center hole I can find is 7/8.

We placed our order in Oct, 2021 and it was delivered today (Kubota: MX6000):

13 Likes

OK, so the blade set for this Ford / New Holland pto finish mower is unavailable through C/NH. Our 930A is a 72" and the original blade set was W0D65219. That part # was replaced by 84202681. The only replacement I can find is as follows:
Woods: 31306KT This includes all 3 blades, 24.13" blade length, 2.5" width, 1" center hole and left handed (counter clockwise rotation).

1 Like

Welp, guess Iā€™m done bush hogging today. Went out to mow the pasture and this happened after about 15 minutes. First thought I snapped the mower shear bolt, but no, the bush hog PTO shaft snapped.

Not surprised, the bush hog is at least 25 years old and the shaft cover had disintegrated so bad I had to remove it, so guess it just broke from rust/old age.

Now gotta find a new shaft somewhere, Tractor Supply sells them, but donā€™t know if they have one thatā€™ll fit my equipment. Just another thing to deal withā€¦

2 Likes

After further review, it looks like the outer shaft that connects to the tractor pto is broke. So, I need to find a new outer shaft, which might be a problem because it has a funky semi triangular shape to it. Doesnā€™t look like Tractor Supply has such a shaft. Maybe have to go the eBay route.

You should probably just get a completely new PTO shaft, that can be less expensive than parts anyway. Need to match mating ends and get one of the right length, or too long and cut to length.

If you get a whole assembly, it wonā€™t matter what cross-section tube style, as long as it is rated for the application.

The way that is broken, it looks like the shaft was too short and had insufficient overlap between the inner and outer tubes.

1 Like

May be better (or easier) to get a whole new shaft, but they are about $3-400, and Iā€™m a tight wad, soā€¦

I donā€™t think it was too short, there was about a foot of overlap between the inner and outer tubes.

But finding an outer tube thatā€™d match may be a very difficult task. Looks like the new ones Iā€™ve seen are square, not this weird circular triangular shape.

They make new ones in triangular, lemon, and square as well as probably others.

How big is your bush hog, and/or PTO hp output from your tractor? Do you have a picture of the ends.

This one, as an example, is under $110 and has a smooth bore for sheer pin for the implement end and pretty standard 1-3/8 6 spline for the tractor end. And it could arrive at my house tomorrow:

Thanks. I think itā€™s a 5ft mower, and the PTO hp is about 40, I think.

Iā€™ll take a look at that Amazon ad.

Iā€™ll get some more pics of the tractorā€™s pto end and the mowerā€™s.

Hereā€™s the tractor pto shaft, looks like a 6 spline end, if I have my terminology right.

Hereā€™s the mower connection.

Yeah, that looks pretty standard. Hopefully you have the right grade of sheer bolt too. Putting a Grade 8 in there could lead to problems with the tractor PTO or driveline.

2 Likes

Oh, itā€™s a cheap grade (2) half inch bolt, with a nyloc nut. Iā€™ve popped a few of them going over some hidden smallish stumps. I donā€™t bush hog more than a couple times a year, and might shear a bolt every other year. I donā€™t use the PTO for anything else.

I measured from the tractor pto end to the mower yoke and it comes to about 48in. Iā€™m wondering if that shaft you showed would work on my rig.

1 Like

It looks about perfect, I think the range they list of 39-59" is the working range.

2 Likes

It says itā€™s rated at 35hp, my pto is rated at 40hp. Would this be okay with my tractor?

1 Like

I havenā€™t given any disclaimers yet. Iā€™m just a hobbyist, so take my comments for what theyā€™re worth.

If the new shaft isnā€™t up to the task, the likely outcome is something like what youā€™ve just experienced. I donā€™t think it will harm your tractor or implement (aside from potential collateral damage if its run while damaged).

Do you know what hp your Bush Hog is rated for?

I donā€™t think you can transmit more power through the shaft than what the Bush Hog is using. For jolts, its the sheer pin that matters.

2 Likes