Amadiocot in full bloom

To add about the Apricot Scott mentioned,another name is Chinese Apricot. Brady

Patty,

I will try to send it out next week. We are knee deep in getting the sweet corn planted and thinning peaches at the moment. End of next week I have to run up to Utah for a wedding. So worst case it might be a couple weeks. I have nice dormant wood in the fridge so no worries.

Thanks Scott. We grow just about all the known varieties that are recommended for low to medium chill areas of the southwest. None are anything like the peach type sweet melting texture of this particular cot. But I will keep looking around.

Anyone out there have any mormon wood available?

Wow, youā€™re really busy, Eric, and I thank you so much. Donā€™t sweat over it too much. I have some rootstock coming next week. They can sit and get fat and healthy :slight_smile: If you need anything from me, just PM me. I hope to have some fig cuttings next season I know you donā€™t have, so I can let you know on that front, in a couple of months.

Patty S.

1 Like

Eric, in past years they recommended different varieties and if the tree is old it may be one of those. I canā€™t find anything from 1960 or so which could be the date of the tree (a big guess) but here is a 1916 list from a U Arizona report that I found:

The varieties include New Castle, Hemskirke, Tilton, Russian, Royal, Blenheim, and Cluster.

1 Like

If I remember correctly I think Mormon has an edible pit. That could be a distinguishing feature for sure. I thought it was a higher chill type though but I could well be wrong about this.

Only problem with that line of thinking is that im quite sure this tree is no older than maybe 15 years. We have owned it for 6 years and ive seen aerials that show no tree there around the year 2000. Ill keep growing different cultivars to see if any match.

1 Like

Well I know that my hogs really enjoy crunching and eating the pits of these apricots. So they must not be too bad. Dont know that im willing to open one up and try it myself thoā€¦

ahhhā€¦ I was over-estimating its age by a lot. Not a lot has changed in 15 years.

oooooh! Amadio ā€˜Apri-Pigsā€™. Pork and apricot sounds so good!!!

2 Likes

I do have some limited Mormon apricot wood and can send you few cuttings. It was grafted onto my peach last year and produced a shoot of about 3, 4ā€™.

Tom,

Would certainly love to try it. Ill Pm ya with a address. Thank you.