Amazon Pruner Scam

I bought some ARS from Amazon back on Feb 28. They should be here pretty quick, anxious to see if they match my other real ARS or if they are fakes. I’m betting they are not legit after reading these posts.

2 Likes

All my ARS pruners have “made in Japan” on them.

I’m wondering if ARS decided lately to start making them in China to be more “cost competitive”, like so many other companies?

Either way it sounds pretty clear that the made in China ones aren’t near the quality of the made in Japan ones.

Here’s a couple more pics of the original ARS pruners, in case someone wants to compare. They are gummed up because I don’t clean them much.

4 Likes

I use to use an ARS pruning saw. It was excellent and then they started making two types of blade, one from China and one from Japan. The Chinese one was considerably cheaper and a piece of poop. Tended to bind on anything more than an inch diam. or so.

However, it was clear where they were made and they never stopped making the superior blades. I suspect these are counterfeit, but your theory is logical.

Japanese companies tend to be reluctant to close down factories and put workers out of work, I believe.

2 Likes

@ctduckhunter

Bet they are real enough. Fake pruners on Amazon is a new thing apparently. I’ve ordered some cheap pruners from there but they never deceived me on what they were. Thornx didn’t hold up like ARS Thornx Pruners . I’m sure I got what I paid for them. Ars are such inexpensive pruners if you order in advance there is no reason to use anything else. Make sure when you order ARS they actually say the model# and that they are ARS pruners Amazon.com : ars pruners

The ones below are fake but they don’t say they are real

These are the real ones

These are real

There have always been knock offs this isn’t new to amazon its been going on for years.

3 Likes

Cool, I couldn’t find anything but the phony ones on Amazon yesterday. Perhaps our complaints woke them up.

1 Like

@alan

Hopefully people didn’t miss the real ars pruners sale this year on Amazon. When they are on sale they are ordered and then sometime in April we will receive the new pruners. Like you said if someone trys giving us counterfeits just report them. The seller who has always sent me legitimate ARS pruners in past years from there is Minkui. That’s not to say some counterfeits are not exceptionally deceptive like these felcos Counterfeit Felco Pruners . The hardness of the steel is apparent quickly.

1 Like

The same seller is selling the same listing for $38 today. Interesting.

1 Like

This thread had me looking through different listings for pruners.I came across one site,fakespot.com.
It looks at a lot of the reviews and tallies up an average.Amazon talked Apple out of making the app available for their products.

2 Likes

I bought them from Minkui for $34.28 shipped. I hope they are not the knockoff… We will see soon!

2 Likes

@clarkinks. Here is a pic of the ones I ordered on Feb 28. I’m pretty sure these are the ones that some people on here are saying are knockoffs made in China, not Japan. It is really no big deal if they are not ARS. If they aren’t, I will report it to Amazon and get my money back. Maybe they are knockoffs and I won’t be able to tell. If so, I will still try my darndest to wear them out!

2 Likes

Those are for $35 and not for under $20 so the chances are pretty good they are authentic, I’d think.

3 Likes

That’s the picture that Amazon showed, when I placed
my order. But I was sent the knock offs. The picture doesn’t really mean anything.

3 Likes

The knock offs that I was sent had made in Japan
stamped on them. Having that stamped on them
doesn’t REALLY mean they’re made in Japan.
It’s all part of the knock off.

4 Likes

If you put them to the green onion test, it should clearly show if they are the real McCoy.

3 Likes

Its the same picture when I bought them from a different vendor in 2016 at a higher price. Amazon puts up one listing, then allows a number of vendors to fulfill it, or be the seller and fulfilled by Amazon.

It can be an unpoliced mix of counterfeit and genuine.

When I got to that page, it says I’ve ordered them twice. Same page, same picture. Better to show us an actual picture of your actual pruners.

Here are 3 of my 4 pair all purchased at different times, 2 of the 4 shipped from Japan I believe.

I think they are genuine, if not, then all counterfeit. All better than my Felco. They have the same machining marks as one another on the blades, Identical profile.

I love how smoothly and comfortably they operate. Can balance and cut clean with just thumb and fore finger. Cannot see light between the blades.

5 Likes

The supplier sent me these photos of what he is being sent as ARS liggt duty pruners. Requested proof of authenticity. That’s Chinese on the packaging but unfortunately I cannot read Chinese. Is ARS contracting operations through China or are these all knockoffs flooding the USA? They are likely ARS pruners made for China.

ARS I think is 阿尔斯

Chinese language is difficult for me to attempt to translate

More Chinese Words for Ars

The more I research this the more I think they are ARS. This is a different set of ARS pruners for sale in China
images.jpeg-1

This part of the photo on the package that appears to say ARS

Ordered both light and heavy duty from him.

These are knock offs. Why would ARS, a Japanese
company, all of a sudden start having their pruners
made in China? It degrades from the name and reputation that ARS has built up over the years.

2 Likes

The same reason for other companies, it’s cheaper. Give them the parts and have them assemble and package or give them the item specifications and have them do the whole thing. Also they may have significant sales in China so why not manufacture there. China can produce quality produces if managed properly. Think of the quality product Apple phone.
That being said the ARS is stamped "made in Japan " so I assumed that’s where they are manufactured.

2 Likes

@rayrose @danzeb @alan

So I contacted ARS directly. ARS is aware of the problem. We had several communications. This is what they said

8 Likes

In case anyone needs parts for your ars pruners I found them here Search: 10 results found for "Ars" | Gemplers

1 Like