Ambitious PawPaw Seedling

Hard to see from the pic, but this seedling is 3 foot tall with 10 flowers. That’s pretty ambitious for a seedling. Could this be a new earlier fruiting variety? All the other seedlings I have are older and bigger with no flowers. None of my grafted ones have flowered yet either. What are your thoughts?

9 Likes

You have a serious winner great job!!!

2 Likes

Keep us posted. How does it taste? How does it do next year?

1 Like

I’m not going to let it fruit. Fruit would only be golf ball size anyway. Full size would break those tiny branches.

1 Like

Ok i was thinking one fruit on a top branch (to keep those side branches going) that you support with a stake just so ya can try it.

i have 0 practical experiance with pawpaw. so keep that in mind :sweat_smile:

But would it be a good idea? to graft a bud/scion of this “winner” seedling to another seedling thats not flowering so early? And see if that scion flowers earlier then. (thus seeing if this is a variety that if grafted flowers early)

And also grafting a variety thats known for flowering “late” onto this tree. To see if this tree might hasten it’s flowering? (seeing if this tree might be an excelent rootstock)

I remember another topic where some one wanted to interstem pawpaw for increased vigor or flowers. We talked about possible pawpaw rootstocks.
This might be a good plant to try out for that. So if it suckers you could try to keep the suckers alive and transplant them as rootstocks.

just an idea/theory

2 Likes

Right now it is to small to even take a scion from. Later my thought was to replicate with a graft and see if we can reproduce those results. Pawpaw take a long time to fruit, so if it flowers fast every time there may be some value there.

2 Likes

See our recent discussion on interstems. This may be an interesting seedling to use for that purpose to coax along another cultivar which normally takes a long time to fruit. I may be interested in a scion to experiment in the future.