American/Hybrid persimmon taste test

At my current home location (which will be sold in the next year or two)… I have…

Prok (A)
JT02 Mikkosu (H)
Coroa De Rei. ?
Rich Tooie (A).

Considering that i plan to establish Journey H and H118 A… (at new home location) i dont really feel the need to add Prok.

At new home location… i have Kassandra, Nakitta’s gift, WS8-10, IKKJiro, Zima Khurma, established now. Plan to add Journey and H118… and Dar Sofiyivky at new home location next spring.

What about JT02 Mikkosu ???

I have some notes on JT02… mouth watering tasty, very heavy producer of 2.5-3 inch fruit. Caramel notes in taste.

That sounds too good to leave behind.

1 Like

Some repeated misspellings:

9 Likes

Yes. JT-02 is a great one to move with you or re graft at the new place.

Tony

1 Like

Nikita’s Gift seems to be the name used widespread here in the US.

I wonder if Sophie’s Gift should be spelled Sofie’s Gift :smile:

1 Like

I have JT-02 grafted to my top-worked “Prok” tree. It is very prolific. I posted pictures on another thread of three sections, all loaded with fruit. The fruit are bigger than on Americans though smaller than PCNA Kaki.

The grafts are only 3rd leaf. Last year I managed to ripen only 1 fruit, so I’m no expert on the flavor. That one fruit seemed to lose astringency readily while ripening on the counter without special treatment; the flavor was an enhanced version of PCNA Kaki such as Jiro. But treat this description with care because I ate only the one.

3 Likes

@Harbin – in another thread (link below), you evaluated American varieties that you own. This was very helpful and I’ve relied on this info, e.g. adding Barbra’s Blush and H63A. I’m thinking of also adding H-120.

Based on other reviews of H-118, I was thinking of adding it as well. But you state, “H-118 I really dislike because of the black spots on the skin look dirty and it takes forever to ripen.” Is this still your view?

4 Likes

I fiind Morris Burton just sweet, nothing else. I haven’t tasted that many varieties but can’t imagine any tasting better or being more reliable than Szukis and Mohler.

7 Likes

H63a vs Morris-Burton size differences.

Compared with a large “sweet 16” apple

Taste test to follow.

8 Likes

Morris Burton on bottom.
Very buttery texture. Strong butterscotch flavor. sweet but less than h63a

H63a
Outstanding flavor. Similar strong butterscotch flavor. Very sweet.

Morris Burton had a slight lingering astringency. H63a was completely clean.
I suspect MB is a bit late for my climate. We’ll see if the later ones are better but the leaves have dropped already.

H63a was better in this taste test.

13 Likes

I was thinking of adding a late variety, but maybe I should see how late MB is for me. So H63a is improving in the rankings?

2 Likes

I only have 4 varieties that fruited this year. H118 is still #1. H63a is second but closer.

6 Likes

More from the same grafts. In order, H63A, Barbra’s Blush (upper right of photo) and Dollywood – all still on the tree. Then all three ripe (or almost) in an egg carton, top to bottom.

In this sample, H63A is the prettiest fruit – shiny, bright orange, free from blemishes. It seems to hold longer on the tree, ripening without falling. Barbra’s Blush duller – not shiny, a paler orange, with almost translucent skin, but also mostly free from blemishes. It seems to drop from the tree when ripe, disconnecting at the calyx. Dollywood is intermediate in shininess, also a pale orange, later to ripen but larger; seemingly moire often blemished.

Since this thread is about a taste test, I’ll add that again the H63A seemed marginally better than the BB, stronger flavored. BB’s taste was quite smooth. Both were very good. Dollywood seemed a little less tasty, good but not quite as. All the fruit I ate here came straight from the tree. I did not try to ripen them further indoors. I’'l try that with the ones left.

FWIW, the “Prok” fruit on the rootstock tree are highly variable in color, texture, quality. Frequently blemished, especially around the calyx.

All of this admittedly from a tiny sample on immature grafts.

8 Likes

I agree that those don’t look like Prok. I will also say that Prok almost have a hint of a pink color to me in comparison to the deeper orange of some other varieties.

4 Likes

Thanks. FYI here are two views of fruits at the top of the tree. These are growing on the original tree so therefore ought to be Prok if the label was correct. Maybe this will give you a better sense of the color.

4 Likes

Prok should have a shape from the side like this give or take.Usually more oblong although they might look slightly less oblong if you get a big fat fruit (but will still look oblong compared to others). Prok maybe looks a bit more pink to me than other persimmon just with the blush/bloom over the lighter orange (not that others can’t have that too). Prok are about the least astringency for me. If I can see that they are about to separate from the tree, I can grab one and munch on it in the orchard with no worries.

9 Likes

Got it, thanks. Mine are definitely flatter. And very orange. And I absolutely cannot grab one off the tree and assume it’s non-astringent. I have been able to do that with H63A and Barbra’s Blush. I’ve learned that if they feel soft, there is usually either no or only slight (tolerable) astringency.

I don’t know what variety the original tree may be. But it is confusing to have fruit from an unknown variety – with unreliable quality – falling from the tree among better fruits. This winter I’m going to remove all wood that is not well-positioned to support grafts of other names. I may add another American name or two, then maintain it as a Frankentree.

Apart from my grafts on Prok, which have been somewhat experimental, I have started young stand-alone trees of most of the same American/Hybrid varieties – JT-02, Barbra’s Blush, H-63A, and Dollywood. I hope that these will start bearing in the next year or two. I also have a more mature stand-alone Kassandra that has been bearing well. I’ll probably add H-118 and H-120 this next year.

4 Likes

This spring I grafted WS8-10/BB to the smallest of my wild dv rootstocks… 1/4 inch… below what the W/T graft union looks like today.

And below my first season growth.

This one may end up being in my yard at the new home place. Won’t have to go far for some good persimmons.

6 Likes

looks perfect!

3 Likes

I’ve bought quite a few trees on line that the scion died and the supposed fruit was actually rootstock. Your’s may be rootstock. Even if it was Prok, Prok’s fan club is pretty small. I also converted my Prok to a frankentree. Think I left one branch of it.

2 Likes

Yeah, definitely a possibility. As I recall the tree was pretty tall when I bought it and there was never any severe dieback. So if the scion had died, I think that must have happened before I received the tree. At the time I received it (2015) I was too inexperienced to look for the graft union to check its status.