American Persimmons and self-fertility

Hey all,

I want to get into the American Persimmon game. I chose one lone Meader even though popular opinion seems to suggest that Prok or Yates are better, because Raintree Nursery describes it as “The only available American variety that is reliably self-fertile.” There seems to be a lot of spilled ink on American Persimmon self-fertility. I can reliably say there are zero persimmons in the vicinity. Any tree I grow will be alone. Should I bank on a Meader or would I be fine with a Prok or Yates in terms of getting fruit? I don’t want to have to plant a polinator.

4 Likes

From what I’ve read on this forum, most American persimmon cultivars fruit reliably without a male tree nearby. My trees aren’t far enough along to verify this, but I’m confident with only having female trees (Prok and JT-02).

I should also not that this is not self-fertility, as the trees are not pollinated, but the fruits are produced through parthenocarpy A few cultivars (notably Szukis) will throw out the odd male flower and can truly self-pollinate.

4 Likes

Quote from below article…

“(Persimmons are normally dioecious; that is, trees produce either male or female flowers on separate trees. There is a 90-chromosome American persimmon that is native to the northern U.S. and a 60-chromosome type that is native to Kentucky and the southern U.S. Most of the named varieties are of the 90-chromosome type that set fruit parthenocarpically, without pollination. Thus pollination is not necessary for the 90-chromosome type and fruit are easier to process with few or no seeds.“)

3 Likes

How many chromosomes does the common persimmon have. That is what I have here in Cincinnati Oh

Most of the ones commonly available are self fertile. That is one of the selling points. Nobody wants to have to buy and plant a male as well.
Just calling it self fertile as that is easier for most to grasp.

@poncirusguy

Good question ! ?
Many have suggested that the Ohio River is the dividing line, 90c North of The river… 60 C south of the river.
This may be more or less the case,
But the truth is nobody has detailed maps of the 60s and 90s.
And would depend on which way the raccoons swim.
Which way the turkeys and Crows fly. …deer etc… With full bellies . Lots of conflicting reports on what grows where

2 Likes

I agree with this, based on my own reading.

As for actual experience, I’m getting huge seedless crops from an all-female Prok. I’m also growing the hybrids Kassandra and JT-02 (no fruit yet) and planning to start other Americans – all without a male tree or even a male flower within many miles. So I’m putting my time and money where my mouth is.

FWIW, I’m also getting very decent seedless crops from the Asian Ichi Ki Kei Jiro.

2 Likes

So, to ask my question another way, if I plant a lone Prok or Yates with no other persimmons around, I can get fruit?

1 Like

Yes.and fully seedless fruit.

2 Likes

Ok. Next question. If it was between Prok, Meader and Yates and you could only pick one, which would it be?

Prok would be my choice

1 Like

Prok sounds like the tastiest, but Yates seems to be more hardy. Does it really matter? I’m Zone 5B. We got -30 here on occasion (rare, but it happens).

1 Like

I would think they are about equally hardy.
My Prok ‘s have gone through -24F and never even shivered

4 Likes

I have several persimmons I planted 25 years ago – got the seedlings from a retired botany prof who found them in southern Missouri and thought the fruit quality was good. From those seedlings I got two females and four males. And the fruit is heavily seeded. I also have an early golden which is also heavily seeded. If I would remove all the male trees will I still get fruit on the Missouri persimmons? If I remove the males except leave one which is about 300 feet away from the females, will that reduce the number of seeds?

1 Like

Has anyone ever grown any variety of female American persimmon without a pollinator and failed to get fruit? I’ve never heard any such report.

1 Like

See that’s the million dollar question I want answered :smiley:

2 Likes

In zone 5, you are pretty far north, but if you have a warm and long growing season you are probably ok. When I recently inquired of Cliff England of England’s Orchards about ripening possibilities of his earliest varieties he wrote back:
“ I will write the ripening month for our USDA ZONE 6a

100-46 - Lehman’s Delight Persimmon OCT
Early Golden OCT
H-63A LATE sept to OCT
JT-02 NOV to DEC
Prok Late AUG thru SEPT

Cliff”

2 Likes

Im 5b, the season is from Mid May to Mid Oct. Quite a few stuff can grow here.

1 Like

I think the absence of any such report is the answer.

2 Likes

Hi Izzy,
Let me know how they do! I’m interested in cooler climate persimmon successes, being in one myself
Dennis

1 Like