American persimmons right on schedule

@39thparallel how did the persimmon planting go Fall 2018? Which cultivars did you plant and do you have any pictures?

Dax

1 Like

They’re pretty similar. I feel like all the named varieties I’ve tasted taste similar. The hybrids seem to show more variation.

3 Likes

My seedling American persimmons are fruiting for the first time. Well, one of them is, 5 years from seed to fruit I think. Another one is a male which flowered for the 1st time. They are about average size for the ones that grow around here, earlier than most, have an odd bluish tint to the skin but not the flesh, seedy, and delicious. IMG_20190903_172646172

10 Likes

Try to graft Jerry Lehman 100-46 to your tree because the fruit is three times bigger than the ones in your hand.

Tony

6 Likes

That’s my plan, to graft better varieties. I have several seedlings and I wanted to sample them before I did any grafting. I may end up keeping this one because it starts fruiting in August, while most around here aren’t ripe for at least another month.

The only things I’ve grafted are apples, pears, and plums. I’ll have to go back and read up on persimmon grafting, I know it’s a lot trickier.

3 Likes

Ate some garrettson today, very firm , translucent orange.
Yet no astringency , even though they were firm.
Most other varietys ( D. V. ) I have must be very soft , otherwise they are astringent.

6 Likes