An Albino sweet cherry seedling?

Is this an Albino sweet cherry or it just needs more sunlight?

It’s a cross between Stella cherry x unknown pollen (possibly Bing cherry or Myrobalan plum).

Since it’s too cold to keep it outdoors, I’m keeping inside my bedroom. The only light that is receiving is from my aquarium light. Sometimes I place it in front of my aquarium which it receives yellow light and sometimes on top of my aquarium which receives the pink light.

I have two other seedlings, a peach x nectarine hybrid, and a (peach x almond) x unknown pollen growing on top of my aquarium and both of them are growing fine.

3 Likes

Variegated plants are possible in any species. Hard to grow, often revert back. I like them but gave up on many too hard to grow,. I grow a variegated elderberry , and beech tree. Both are stable variegations. Most non pigmentation albino plants should die eventually from lack of sugar. Unless some other source like grafted unto a normal plant.

1 Like

Here’s a closer look. Do the leaves look like pure cherry or plum x cherry hybrid?

1 Like

Can’t tell from a seedling that young.

1 Like

It’s still alive.

For those who are cherry experts, does it looks like a pure cherry or is still to young to tell the difference?

2 Likes

I found the cause of albinism in sweet cherries.

INHERITANCE OF CRINKLE, VARIEGATION, AND ALBINISM IN SWEET CHERRY

E. A. Kerr

Canadian Journal of Botany

Vol. 41: , Issue. 10, : Pages. 1395-1404

https://doi.org/10.1139/b63-122

Crinkle and variegation are virus-like leaf abnormalities that have occurred on Black Tartarian and Bing, and on Hedelfingen respectively. Albinism has also frequently occurred in progeny of these varieties. Reciprocal crosses were made between these varieties, and is populations of Hedelfingen × Black Tartarian and Hedelfingen × Bing were grown for 10 years. Crinkle and variegation are determined primarily by single recessive genes. Black Tartarian and Bing are each heterozygous for the crinkle gene and Hedelfingen is heterozygous for the variegation gene. When homozygous, the gene for variegation produces a severe form of variegation which is lethal during the first year of growth. Black Tartarian, Bing, and Hedelfingen are each heterozygous for a gene for albinism. The variability of crinkle and variegation, both as to severity and proportion of seedlings affected, indicates that modifying genes are present in these varieties. It is concluded that symptoms appear in a tree that is heterozygous for one of these genes when a further mutation of that gene occurs.

View PDF (551 KB)

View PDF PLUS (574 KB)

SWIPE ACROSS ARTICLES

NEXT ARTICLE

Canadian Science Publishing © 2020

Go to previous Article Download this Article Share this Article Add Article to Favorites Go to next Article

[[

2 Likes

Did it survive, usualy albinos dont.

It died.

I found this with my cherry seedlings today. Not an albino but very different color. Rest of the seedlings are normal green.

3 Likes