An introduction and new SW Ohio zone 6b orchard (~30 trees), other growers in my area?

How did the Alfred apricot taste?

1 Like

Welcome Peter! You have a great plan. I’d definitely recommend checking out pawpaws as suggested above. Those seeds you are distributing will make great rootstock for named varieties to graft. Check out Jerry Lehman’s selections.

I see you have Li and Lang listed. Have you read the threads here about jujubes? I have Honey Jar, Sugar Cane and some others trialed by members on the eastern side of the country with good results. I don’t think I’ve eaten Li or Lang but I’ve read there are better options for our climate.

2 Likes

When perfectly ripe they were excellent

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice! The jujubes were a recent addition so I’ll do some more research and see if I can modify my spring order if there are better cultivars.

I’ve never grafted before but I like the idea of using the native paw paw seeds for root stock and then grafting named cultivars. The wild paw paws are so-so taste wise (more fun to harvest than tasty) so I’d definitely be more interested if I found some with improved flavor. I currently have quite a few seeds in my fridge in moist peat moss. We also have some very small trees in our woods around the pond I might consider grafting to. I’ll look through old threads but do people sell scions on this site? Otherwise any suggestion on where to purchase?

Thanks for the advice!

1 Like

England’s Orchard and Red Fern Farm. Check my bio for descriptions on the website I put together.

2 Likes

We’ve had a nice mild December. Got fencing completed on the future orchard…excited to get planting in March! Also finished two additional 4x24’ raised beds for the strawberries and raspberries next to the blueberry bed.

Only change in the plan so far is I ditched the black pearl sweet cherry for a Montmorency tart cherry.

I’ve ordered most other trees except for the Nikita’s Gift persimmon which seems in short supply…our local nursery has had them before so I might just wait until Spring and check with them. Otherwise anyone have a good source for one?

8 Likes

Here is a little month by month recap for 2023 in our neck of the woods. Happy new year everyone!

7 Likes

Wow, great video! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Great job. Not your first rodeo.

2 Likes

Thanks ztom! Was a good year but I’m super excited about the orchard this (2024) year!

3 Likes

Thanks Blueberry! Yes, definitely not our first garden but first year for this one at our new property. Super excited for next year. Hope you have a great 2024!

3 Likes

Great video. Nicely done!

3 Likes

I bought a Nikita’s Gift persimmon in a 2 gallon pot from home depot a few weeks ago and they delivered it promptly. Don’t know their current stock, but they had over 80 when I bought mine. It was shipped up from Florida.

2 Likes

My Cincinnati, Ohio 1000 square foot garden is on my roof top. I am in the Teays river flood plane. The Ohio river floods my basement floor every time it hits 95 feet.

roofront

9 Likes

Same back at you. You’re doing some great grardening.

3 Likes

Nicely done. Great thinking.

3 Likes

Wow, how ingenious! Very neat. Luckily we are not in a flood plane. We are a bit north of you between Cinci and Dayton areas.

2 Likes

Good to hear, hopefully I’ll get a hold of one come Spring time…

2 Likes

Love the artwork!

1 Like

Lovely and truly inspiring! Great video :blush:

3 Likes