An untagged pear wound up being Ayers - Been wanting that variety

Still waiting on this multigraft pear to flower. Wish me luck this spring!

2 Likes

Well…did it flower?? Fruit?
Curious… :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I’ve already posted this elsewhere on the forum but for those whom may not have seen:

Of course it’s nice to have the blanks. I have an entire bag of probably 150-200 of these. They were leftover solid aluminum blanks from when a buddy worked as a tool and die maker.

The wire you attach to a dowel rod in a hand held drill and make your own “spring.”

Dax

11 Likes

@Susu
Unfortunately with the drought it did not produce fruit.

1 Like

The ayers limbs of the multigraft is laden with hundreds of blooms in the shuck split phase. Clara frijs is very slow to flower. There is no drought this year rather water is abundant. The trees reflect that good fortune of having plenty of water with ample blooms. Clapps favorite is another that is exceedingly slow to flower.

1 Like

Does that mean Clara Frijs finally flowered?

1 Like

Clara frijs has not flowered yet but if it does it won’t be very much.

1 Like

On this thread i thought in 2016 i would get pears off my clara frijs that year or next but it was 2019 until the tree set a few pears! Clara frijs is very slow to produce on standard callery rootstock. Not as slow as some pears such as clapps favorite. Some pears are just slow like that. Thats why they say you plant pears for your heirs. Keep in mind my callery are wild typically so the rootstocks have serious influence over the scion. I grow clara frijs on 2 callery trees only and both have pears this year. Its not enough sample to say clara frijs is slow to produce on everything. I suspect on ohxf333 it would produce in 2-3 years since ive had that happen with magness and others. This is why impresso tags are useful is for a multigraft tree they are great. The tree will grow into the wires that hold the tags on so watch out ive let it happen way to much.

3 Likes

Ayers is one of my favorites! Everyone should have this pear tree!

9 Likes

Yea!!! I have an unknown pear that has fruit exactly like that! I was wanting Ayers and thought it would be a good chance since that variety is often sold here in big box stores!!! Beautiful red on the fruits! Congrats to you and to me!!!

2 Likes

That side got a lot of sun. That’s a trademark of Ayers.
Has anyone ever tried drying pears?

2 Likes

I have dried pears. I use the dehydrator but when I was a child (:flushed::flushed::flushed:) we layed them out on the well house roof on a sheet in the sun. Delicious!

2 Likes

Last yr I dried Comice, Bosc, and KG. The first two dried when soft ripe were excellent. KG was a dud. It’s high brix but too firm to be good dried.

2 Likes

I’ve been contemplating getting a dehydrator, and you just made
up my mind. How thin do you slice them and do you peel them
or not.

1 Like

No need to peel something like Bosc or Comice. The skin is tougher on KG but even peeled I won’t like it.

I’d say i slice them about 1/4 inch thick. They dry in about 18 hrs at 135F. If it takes longer than a day I’d say slice thinner. I usually start a batch in the evening. Then check them in the morning and remove those that are dry enough. Check later and remove more. Finish by early afternoon. Ready for another batch.

1 Like

Thanks, I have lots of figs to dry too.

1 Like

Figs I cut in half or maybe quarters for big ones. If you want really even drying turn the halves inside out. They work on the same schedule. I like the dried figs as much or more than fresh.

2 Likes

@rayrose heres a thread on drying pears Drying pears - natures best candy! and you may like this thread How do you like your pears cooked?

3 Likes

Steve,
Just did my first batch of figs and they came out great.
You’re right, they just as good dried, as they are fresh.

3 Likes

I have at least 5 producing ayers pears. That sounds like alot but they also have a tendency to be somewhat biennial like some apples. They can be very delayed in fruiting (some 12 years). Ayers are good flavored pears with occasional grit in the skin at my location. They are dripping, melting , sugary pears definately worth growing!

1 Like