Anaerobic Condition?

Had a guy send me photos of his ailing apple benchgrafts; they sprouted OK, and then all seem to be succumbing to what appears to be a root rot. This could be caused by an anaerobic condition where the roots lack oxygen, but I’m not sure of the cause of that?

1 Like

The soil looks like clay with poor structure. It’s puddled up pretty badly on top. In addition I wonder how well those bags drain. Some wood or sand mixed in might help.

3 Likes

We use maize sacks successfully in Uganda, but the clay there seems to have much more sand in it and drains better.

3 Likes

The adaptability of Tribes-Genus-species has always fascinated me. The muck those bench-grafts are planted in looks terrible for Malus, but seedlings from my Prunus ilicifolia would enjoy it!

1 Like

Could be the lack of watering? Not sure. Bags at the back have loose soil at top. I expect a more flat top surface after two or three weeks of regular watering.

I am seeing dry leaf edges. Could be the reason of a long gap between watering? I am not sure.

Or could be the reason of application of watering. Clay soil in a sack become a hard mud-ball in few hours if left dry. Dry mud-ball in a sack needs repeating applications of small amount of watering to reach to the center.

@applenut

Are those cement fruit trees? :grinning: :innocent:

Do we let them ripen on the tree or do we pick early and let them set after picking?

Mike