Ancient yet modern, popular yet unknown. The Chinese Jujube

I’ve got, and am harvesting, jujubes here in Michigan.

Actually, where I live in Mi is directly north of Windsor, Ontario (Canada)! I live about 10 miles north of Canada, in the continental US.

For me, Honey Jar and So are my best growers/producers.

Growth the first couple years was slow and production was non-existent until the plants were about 4 years old.

Scott

how could i have forgotten-- @Chills is the ultimate proof!

Juju,
My Chico will be pot-grown until I am able to convince my daughter that a maple tree we have does not really do anything for us but provides shade to our neighbor who does not even like us :grin:

1 Like

My shanxi li runted out. The rootstock stem has been damaged by vertical cracks (I suspect weather related) and the graft never really put out much growth.

It may have one last chance as it will no longer be shaded as I cut down the hazelnuts which had previously been shading it. I may one day try to regraft it, perhaps.

Scott

1 Like

good luck! Chico may just be the holy grail equivalent when grown in massachusetts, along with sherwood/gi-1183/porterville/ga-866 if you could get it to fruit :slight_smile:

likely another lateral stem scion in the puppy-mill business model. Of course, it wasn’t Roger’s fault that the demand was so high. Glad it is still alive though

I’m not sure if the graft is (still alive), but I think the rootstock is.

Ever seen a rootstock split vertically on jujube? Do you paint the trunks of jujube trees?

Scott

i hope it still leafs out in spring.

juju trunks don’t get sunburnt so no need to paint the trunks. We actually grow many of them against a west-facing wall with no ill-effects during 113F summers here.

I sent Cliff stem wood from my Chico jujube this winter. We’ll see if that works any better for him.

1 Like

I’ve had eucalyptus trees die from the heat here but I’ve never seen sunburn on a jujube. I did have a couple of trees that weren’t watered for at least a couple of months during the summer and they had some die-back the next year, but still no sunburn.

Maybe you should start tapping it to make maple syrup?

Don’t worry about over-tapping it, as it isn’t a problem if it died :wink:

My So has been very productive in the Northeast (no fungus issues and maybe 1 in 50 get slight damage by insects- I use my fingernail to remove the imperfection). Here’s a pic from last fall of the part which was most productive (SW facing, which got the most sun).

A Honey Jar graft fruited the first and second years, so it looks to be very productive too. The best fruit (though smaller) of all the jujube I’ve tried.

Both Mamung and I had a Shanxi Li fruit in it’s first year in 2016, so I think it looks to be pretty productive in our climate as well. I don’t think its fruit is as good as Honey Jar, Sugar Cane, or So though.

I had never even heard of that one before. I’ll add it to my list of things to look for next year.

I got to sample half a dozen kinds of mostly-fresh, but starting to dry fruits last summer and Sihong was my favorite. I had assumed that it would be even better fully fresh, but it sounds like that may not be. Either way, I want to add one- it wouldn’t hurt to have some of those to eat over the winter.

Speaking of which, what is the longest that jujubes can be kept in a fresh/crunchy state? Ideally, I’d like to grow enough of them to eat them fresh while within their natural storage range.

4 Likes

I don’t know what the longest time is, but it should be one of the denser jujubes like Sherwood.

1 Like

Bob,
Have you ordered Chico?

I like you idea about tapping my maple. Is an axe OK as a tapping tool?

1 Like

I planted one last year and ordered a 2nd this year from Burnt Ridge. The one they sent (“Large”) last year was 5/8" caliper, larger than the Honey Jar (“grafted”, 3/8"). I’m interested to see if the sizes are similar this year and how big “XLarge” is. Lang is all they offer at that size, but I got it figuring that it should at least be good to graft to.

Sure, though if you are going to get rid of it anyways, you may want to collect some sap first. I was talking to my dad yesterday and he said he’s gotten 60 gal of sap so far (should boil down to 1.5 gal of syrup).

1 Like

@BobVance is another success story with getting jujus to fruit(and consistently!) in the northeast.

Bob’s contorted juju fruits are actually larger than ours. But am beginning to suspect there might be more than one variety of contorted, as our contorted’s only bear fruits that are elongated, and considering that contorted seeds have good viability. Of course, quite possible that the weather may be to blame for the difference in form/taste of fruits.

lol, and you can use the timber to make more axe handles!

Let me know if you’d like some wood to graft- we’re still in our dormant season. Some other things (Jplums) are starting to wake up a bit, but jujubes have quite a while to go.

I definitely noticed that the texture was much improved by a bit of rain, but didn’t notice the shape changing. It was actually a very fast transformation- one day of rain and they went from a bit dull to the crisp/crunchy fruit I remembered from past years.

2 Likes

thanks Bob, trying it would answer some questions-- or add possibilities!

was hoping that would be applicable during our summers here, but it just wasn’t the case. Our oppressive heat is perhaps the other influential variable…

My contorted (So) has round fruit. I too would be willing to share wood if you’re interested.

Scott

Did you get it from JFaE too? I cut some wood this morning, so we should be covered on it, unless you have a different version.