Ancient yet modern, popular yet unknown. The Chinese Jujube

Mine is from Burnt Ridge…

Scott

got ours from burntridge and from Roger Meyer, so i guess it kind of answers my query-- that our high heat summers produce cylindrical/oval contorted fruits, and regions with cooler summers produce roundish fruits.

at any rate, thanks for the kind offers, @BobVance and @Chills :slight_smile:

I’m on my third contorted tree. The first two died back to the stock and this third one is in the process of doing the same. I don’t understand what the problem is. The fruit on all three has been perfectly round and pretty tasty. None of them were from Burnt Ridge or Roger Meyer. Contorted is pretty common at nurseries in California, possibly the most popular jujube after Li and Lang.

that is super intriguing. Not just the fruits, but also the successive deaths.
have no clue as to why that would be, and why only the contorted and in your locale, considering that your locale has no climate extremes. Having relatively mild summers and mild winters.

only reason could think of might be delayed graft rejection on an indian juju rootstoc. If grafting to indian juju is even possible(hear anecdotes about it every now and then). Could also be delayed graft rejection on the older spinosa-type of rootstoc, supposedly the acidojujuba which is reportedly more ancient, but not too sure about this either.

2 Likes