And here comes the freeze

Hi, Olpea!

Just read your last few posts, glad to hear your crop is saved.

I walked around checking my trees yesterday. Peaches and nect flower buds were dead. I could not find any live ones.

Satsuma plum buds were toasted. Surprisingly, Shiro buds shich have been advanced seem fine. Not sure about pears, the tips of tight clusters were a bit brown. Cherries seemed fine.

If it is as low as predicted tonight, there will be more damage. Too many freezing nights, too many times, I guess.

hope this kind of weather will not be a norm :grimacing:

1 Like

Thanks Sara, At least for today it’s looking ok so far. At ten to six I haven’t yet tried to fire up the heaters (if they would do any good ) Still 33 here so far.

1 Like

Looks like 20F here …bounced around in the low 20Fs for the last few hours. The air is just so dry. Winds here went dead calm too, which never helps. Just east of here it was 13F… International Falls, MN is 7F. Amazingly cold this morning considering no snowcover/time of year.

Even the heat island known as Minneapolis is sitting at 21F.

Current surface temps

It was 27 on the temperature sensor at my house, 25.5 at the closest weather station. Outside it did not look very bad, the leaves did not look frozen, there was no frost on the ground. Hope it will be OK for the flowers. The temperatures inside Omaha ran considerably higher than in suburbs.

Glad for you Opea! You put in a long night! Hope things turn out even better than you expect. I spent several hours trying to protect peaches but it was 22.6 here at 7:15 A.M., so I don’t have any high hopes.

1 Like

Taste of spring is in our future.

1 Like

18 right now at my house north of Minneapolis. Yikes! Come on sun

1 Like

One more quick shot Tues and a i’m going to say its game over for awhile.

https://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/factsheet/pub__5191779.pdf
Well looking at this my outside peach buds seem to only be at 1st swell, I think they’ll be ok. . . I hope

I covered some of my pluots and plums last evening. I will have them covered for one more night.

Tony

What stage were your buds/flowers at Jerry?

I had about a 1/4 inch of ice in a 5 gallon bucket under a tree that was just lightly covered with blankets…Another tree that was covered a lot better had about 1/16 inch of ice…

1 Like

I hope it will help! I have not enough crop on the trees to seriously worry about their protection.

Did you get -12 in mid Feb like we did in the northeast?

Our peach buds were dead from that subzero tempt even at dormant.

So this 20 F days meant nothing to our dead peach buds :pensive:

Mamuang,

Sorry to hear about your stone fruits. I got some that will be producing for the first time so I tried my best to protect them. I bark grafted these guys 2 to 3 years ago and just wanted to taste them for the first time like Foster peach from Scott, Gold dust and Carolina Gold from Bob. V. and Valley Sweet peach from Steve. Thank you all for trading scions with me the last 8 or 9 years. I hope the weather will get warmer soon because most of my stone fruits scions want to wake up.

Tony

1 Like

Glad you escaped @Olpea! Tonight is the bad one for me, 25F forecast now. I think I am going to cover a few things. Theres too much to make much of a dent but I can help out a few things I hope.

2 Likes

Oh man, sorry to hear that Mamuang. I looked back at the NWS records, the lowest low here was -15 this winter. My plan this winter was to cover them with plastic and a light anytime it got below -10. I think I had to do it 4 nights. I also tried Drews idea to spray with wilt stop. I did that 1st week of December I think. As of yesterday it looked like at least 90% of the buds made it. . . .until this morning…I didn’t cover because the forecast low was 22 and the buds were at a pretty early stage, but the stations around here reported lows last night of 13-15. . .ouch. We got off relatively easy here this winter. This was the first year in 4 that I did not lose any raspberry canes to winter injury

Mike, my Earlitreat, Redhaven, & PF17 were all either full bloom or nearly. Madison was about 1/2 full and the rest not quite opened. Nothing on the Intrepid, even the leaf that’s there is small so I think it may be just late.