And the winner is... Juliette!

I picked my first crop of Juliette today, about 3/4 of it. It could hang few days longer but three days of non-stop rain do not help. Surprisingly, even not on the pick of color the berries are sweeter than any tart cherries I have. And look at the size! No, it is not a dime. And not a nickel. It is a quarter!

19 Likes

I’m glad to hear that! I gave a Juliette to friends of mine as a cabin warming gift and it should fruit, conditions permitting, soon. I’d be delighted if it works out for them. Thanks for your update.

6 Likes

I loved my Juliette, It was much more reliable than my sweet cherries were, and tasted just as good. nice harvest!

4 Likes

Just finish picking my Juliet today. It is definitely bigger than Carmine Jewel. I got about 10 -11 lbs from my 4 yrs old bush. This was about 30% of the flowers it put out.

Taste is subjective. I gave a lb each to 3 people. All three and I think Juliet was sour.

Then, I tasted Carmine Jewel. That was Sour!!! and borderline bitter (to me). When I tasted Juliet after I tasted Carmine Jewel, Juliet was definitely “sweet”.

4 Likes

nice! i got about 50 each sizing up on my 2 juliets. cant wait to try them! romeo has about 20 as does c.j.

1 Like

Never tried it but have watched a few videos on it. All the videos I have watched on taste tests say if you are expecting something like a sweet cherry prepare to be disappointed but it is good on it’s own. I guess if you like making pies and you want them to be super sweet this is the cherry for you.

Not sure if your post was for me. FYI, I have grown sweet cherry for 10 years and grew other sour cherry that tasted less tart in the past.

My comment about tartness is a personal view. Taste is subjective.

These were from this year. Black Gold, Juliet and Carmine Jewel

3 Likes

Cherry flavor for most all products is from tart cherries. I make syrup mostly. I find it refreshing usually mixed with other flavors such as cherry lemonade or ice tea. I also made fruit leather with more sugar than my syrup. I keep the syrups tart. How I like them.
I have dried them too but they are still tart dried. Good for muffins and scones. I also make fig newtons with my figs. I sometimes add cherry, blueberry, or strawberry syrup to the recipe. I prefer using dried figs in the recipe. Adds more fig flavor to the mix.
My wife makes mini pies with a mini pie press. Her homemade crust is the best I ever had. Using egg wash on the dough adds a fantastic flavor. Served hot with ice cream. To die for! This is why I grow them and look forward to cordials, pies and muffins each year.

2 Likes

Yeah sorry I meant to do a general reply.

1 Like