And...they are starting to arrive at the big box stores

I’ll need to check about grafted vs. seedling. My Duke tree has just arrived a couple of weeks ago from Rolling River Nursery, and it’s still in a pot.

Looking at the Rolling River website, they sell Duke 7 which must be what you have. That’s an offspring of Duke that’s been used for many years as a rootstock, probably for its root rot resistance characteristics. I hope you have a grafted version. And it’s nice to see that this nursery ships their container grown stock at a reasonable price.

Hi Richard.

Just curious, what is the mechanism for seedlings from a scion grafted on Zutano to have characteristics from the root stock? Are avocados different from apples in this regard?

According to lectures I’ve attended at UCR, there are many fruiting plants with this property – with asian Citrus as a notable exception.

Interesting. I wonder what the mechanism for transferring the root stock traits is. I’ll have to look into this (when I have some time)…

I’ve checked and yes, the tree is grafted. Rolling River, however, didn’t indicate what they use for the rootstock.