Anna apple ripening date

I became interested in the Anna apple a few years ago because of reading that it had an early ripening date. The Anna limb has three apples this year and I was hoping someone nearby or in a similar zone could enlighten me as to when I should expect them to ripen. Thanks, and any reply’s are welcome. Bill

Bill, for me here in S. California, Anna is ready about end of June through end of July. I may get a second and even 3rd crop from my Anna’s. Same with Dorsett Golden, which is the traditional cross-pollinator for Anna, although Anna is self-pollinating. You’ll get more apples with a Dorsett Golden, and fatter apples.

2 Likes

Although it wasn’t my original plans for a pollinator the crabapples that I have bloom about the same time. The three apples I have are about as round as they are high and about 1 1/2" in diameter. My Dorsett has not bloomed yet but when it does I should have very good cross pollination. Is there anything you do special to get the second and third crop? Thanks, Bill

Nothing you can do to encourage a 2nd or 3rd crop, Bill, besides Mother Nature. We see this due to our persistent mild temps here, and very prolonged warm temps. The 2nd and 3rd crops are of course, much less prolific. I might get 1 or 2 apples on my tree on the 3rd crop.

1 Like

Thanks

1 Like

My Anna has flowers this year. how is the flavor!

John, for an early apple, it is good. I would rate it as a solid “B”. It is a good out of hand eating apple. Doesn’t need to be chilled. Stays crunchy, probably don’t store as well as other late fall apples, but it’s a nice early apple. I think Dorsett Golden is better by a little bit, personally. I like my apples on the sweet side, crisp, crunchy, and complex tasting. That is Dorsett Golden. The thing about Anna is that it is SO prolific, very sturdy, will produce right away, and doesn’t need a cross pollinator. And, will set with essentially zero chill hours. So, it is our “go to” apple for folks who like right on the coast. And, it tends to stay more compact in its growth habits. It makes a nice cultivar to espalier as well (have one as an espalier in nearly 100% shade, and it still full of apples). Dorsett Golden is almost as dependable. Mine is absolutely so full of fruit this year, I am not sure I can even give it all away.

I don’t think you will get but one crop in your area. I am in 8b and I get a few apples that get about 3/4 size before they get hit by frost, none have made it to maturity.

Sounds good, for a 12 dollar tree I bought at tractor supply.

You’ll enjoy it. Anna is a very reliable apple tree. If you you have a hankering for trying your hand with espalier, this is a good choice. And, I see you’re a cook? I have used Anna apples in cooking and food prep. It does decently. I like it in my fruit salads, it has a nice, non-overpowering “apply” taste, and nice texture.

Patty S.

My one cluster of Anna apples.

1 Like

Bill, I just bought a roll of metal screening material, and I’m going to do what Clint suggested. My apples and most especially my pears get decimated by birds and squirrels. Wish me luck. Clint, thank you for such a clever, easy and functional way of protecting fruit from rats, birds and squirrels.

Patty S.

1 Like

Anna makes killer pies.

Ah, Kevin, there you are! Glad you found Scott’s forum! I was wondering if you had made it over here. It actually does hold up pretty darned well in baking. I made an Apple Brown Betty with some extra Anna apples last season. It came out very well. I’m going to have to pull out every apple recipe I own this season. Between the Annas, the Golden Dorsetts and all the Fuji’s, and a few Pink Pearls (really thrilled I’m finally getting some of those this season as well. Will be putting screens around as many as I can. Kevin, what do you do to keep the varmints out of all your apple trees?

For some reason varmints don’t bother the apples, not even the red squirrels. We have a lot of stone fruit that distracts the birds from the apples. Codling moth is a problem here, defeating every countermeasure from pheromone mating disrupters to Capt. Jack’s. Early and late varieties suffer the least from most pests and diseases, King David, Dixie Red Delight, Lady Williams, and Sundowner are usually flawless.

Applenut. It is a lot of trouble to bag fruit but you might want to do so on at least a few of the most insect prone ones. I’m hoping I can reduce the number of bagged fruit next season or at least limit it to the lower limbs. Good luck, Bill

Thanks Auburn, I grow the trees mostly for the scionwood, not the apples, and so I’m willing to live with getting a 50% crop. I did get an email from a Chinese fruit bag company that sells multi-layer bags for bagging all kinds of fruit. They sell them by the tens of millions, bagging whole orchards there.

1 Like

All the spring blossoms on my Anna got frozen this year. However today I go out in midsummer and it is in full bloom again! I know they can make two crops…but I assumed a few apples. This is a full on bloom…as thick as the spring bloom!

3 Likes