Antonovka Apple Trees (not rootstocks)

The story of Antonovka is a kind of pomological detective story. As Adam Stanislavovich Grebnitsky wrote in the Atlas of Fruits of Russia, " the place-origin of Antonovka is not exactly known; it has been bred since very ancient times, and all pomologists who described it recognize it as a variety of Russian origin." At the Nizhny Novgorod Exhibition in 1896, S. V. Batov from Tula presented Antonovka Tula (dukhovaya). He believed that the common name Antonovka was named after the gardener Anton, who allegedly brought it back in time immemorial, and its own name-dukhovaya-from the “spirit”, the aroma that an apple has. These are varieties of antonovka that grow in different regions.

The Golden Monk. Received in the Kursk region. According to legend, the ancestor of the apple tree was planted by the son of Karamzin. Apples are yellowish in color and oblong in shape.

Antonovka-kamenichka. The fruit has a good flat-spherical shape, the taste is sour.

Antonovka Krupnina. Very frost-resistant. The greenish-yellow peel of the apples is strewn with white dots (a special sign of antonovka). They are stored for a long time, ripen in early October.

Antonovka autumn. Large-fruited. The smooth, thick, yellowish-green skin is marked with large white dots.

Antonovka stepnaya. From the Kursk region. Large fruits with pale yellow skin are dotted with white and black dots. Stored until January.

Antonovka is sweet. Clonal varieties of Antonovka vulgaris. The fruit is low in acid, so there is a fresh sweet taste. The apples are kept for long.

Antonivka polufuntovka (600-gramm). The average weight of the fruit is 280 grams. Harvest from an adult tree – up to a ton!

Antonovka white. It looks like a pound and a half, but the fruit is smaller, with very juicy flesh.

5 Likes

Which is the one that is clonally propagated as a rootstock? Or are the rootstocks generally grown from seeds?

Seeds

1 Like

antonovka is a large tree after grafting, only seeds.

1 Like

Some Antonovka are grafted…the “Antonovka 1.5#” for instance.

!!!..I was mistaken, no thorns, the branches just looked like thorns early on. … they are both growing…not the healthiest or most vigorous trees in my orchard. …but I look forward to trying them and possibly pulling a few suckers( if they produce) or starting seeds to graft onto.