Antonovka Apple Trees (not rootstocks)

I wonder if anyone has any experience with Antonovka apple trees, not the rootstocks, but the trees themselves. I have just planted 2, they seem to have thorns (similar to plum trees in the way the branches start out as thorns, some stay as thorns and others continue to grow into branches). Can this be true Antonovka apple ?..with thorns ?

3 Likes

I believe @galinas is growing Antonovka.

1 Like

Hey Andrew, my family planted an bareroot Antonovka in fall 2019. It seems I have no photo of it but I remember no thornsā€¦Maybe we can compare notes as our trees grow?

1 Like

I donā€™t have an Antonovka tree, but a guy I know does. His tree has no thorns

1 Like

Since they are seedling trees, you should expect variation.

I have some 2 to 5 year old rootstocksā€¦and one in-ground tree. Most, but not all, are thorn-free at this point. I plan to grow at least one to adulthoodā€¦for the apples. And even if Iā€™m not thrilled with the apples, Iā€™ll have a good source for growing my own rootstocks from seed.

(I might also add, Fuji seems to produce a good standard seedling rootstock, but too early to brag just yet.)

4 Likes

For what itā€™s worth, Iā€™m growing this example of Antonovka from Trees of Antiquity, and itā€™s thorn-free here. The fruit is quite good, too.

3 Likes

If it really comes true from seeds as T O A suggestsā€¦how come they have it on M111 root instead of selling seedlings? :slight_smile:

Partly I jest, for I know there will be some flowers cross pollinated even if cross pollination isnā€™t required to set fruit. Out of 100 seedlings I bought a number of years ago, I have selected the one that has reddish cast to new growth leaves.
So, I do know they donā€™t all come true. Iā€™m guessing the red in the pigment is probably coming from B118 or B9 but will find out some day I hope. Anyways, the seedlings donā€™t all come back true.

3 Likes

Good thing for me - I donā€™t have room for a standard-sized tree!

Hey, you can always graft a limb onto a B-9 or a M-7 or whateverā€¦or add antonovka to a ā€˜frankentreeā€™

1 Like

Indeed, and already done. Iā€™d planted it in a fairly poor location, and it didnā€™t thrive there, so I eventually took it out. Itā€™s doing very well as a graft on a mature GD, though.

1 Like

There are many varieties of antonovka, but only the classic antonovka is propagated by seeds, and the tree does not have thorns. Thorns are a sign of a wild tree.
If you are interested, I will write the varieties of Antonovka in Russia.

5 Likes

6 Likes

Gold Antonovka

Just saw your post. We have 7 huuuuuuuuuuge Antonovska. They were planted in 1949. They will receive a severe pruning within the next month because they have becomeā€¦ lazy!
Marc

8 Likes

Theyā€™re beautiful trees! I get why people plant dwarf trees, but you have to admit thereā€™s nothing more majestic than a row of full size apple!

5 Likes

Donā€™t mean to brag but we have 56 acres and packed to the ceiling with native trees and bushes. We are indeed very very well known within the local deer communityā€¦ and I would not be surprised at all that deers from other regions come every autumn to ā€˜sampleā€™ our apples. Besides our 37 civilized apple trees, we have also a total of 48 wild apple trees. In October they scent of hard cider is so strong around the house that people stop right in front of our house and imagine that a huge party took place on the lawn a few days beforeā€¦ Marc

5 Likes

I am interested!

1 Like

I have seedlingsā€¦some still not big as pencils after 4 or 5 years. some have ā€˜thornsā€™ (like G30 rootstocks) and some do not have thorns. One even has reddish leavesā€¦and Iā€™m growing it to a tree.
(Can always top graft it later if I decide the experiment isnā€™t worthwhile.)

1 Like

2641027A-1EA8-4EF6-8AC5-8916C5E6573A

2 Likes

Antonovka Desert (Š“ŠµŃŠµŃ€Ń‚Š½Š°Ń)