Any cold hardy jujube good for zone 5?

Most web sites suggust zone 6 above. I always want to have a jujube tree at my backyard. Thanks

Zone 5 probably will want one that matures early. I’ve killed a lot of grafted ones, so find self-rooted ones.

1 Like

@tonyOmahaz5 is successfully growing Honey Jar in zone 5. I think he has others too.

Katy

4 Likes

I’ve never tasted a jujube. It’s on my list to do. Haven’t seen one in a store near me. Until this past fall I hadn’t tasted a persimmon. Well… I did and then ordered a tree. :smiley:
I see same thing happening for jujubes…

4 Likes

The two to try in zone 5 are Honey Jar and Sugarcane. You need to winterize them for several years until the bark thickens up thus protecting itself from the elements and hardiness has been increased.

I planted Honey Jar last summer. It’s wrapped up real good.

I’m going to learn one way or the other.

Dax
true 5b, IL.

7 Likes

Thank you for your input, Will keep looking and try one this spring.

I kind of figured I’d be writing this… get Honey Jar. It’s self-fertile. Of course (2 different cultivars) will provide best pollination.

Dax

1 Like

Now rollingriver is selling winter delight and claimed it is very cold hardy. Do you guys has experience in this one? I am debating if I should get honey jar or winter delight.
Thanks.

1 Like

Winter Delight has never come up during discussions as being acceptable for zone 5b. Honey Jar is the first recommended and Sugar Cane the other. Honey Jar also has sweetness for flavor. It’s smaller than other jujubes but people rave about its flavor.

Winter Delight is completely foreign to me.

Dax

2 Likes

Thanks. Below is copied form rolling river.

Very hardy and productive, Winter Delight™ is a popular variety in Northern China. An attractive, compact tree, it bears abundant crops of large, egg-shaped fruit with crisp, sweet flesh.
Current stock available as conventional plant in gallon sized pot. Cold Hardy to USDA Zone 5

Maybe worthing trying?

@jujubemulberry
@Bhawkins
@k8tpayaso
@BobVance
@tonyOmahaz5

They’ll know better than me.

Dax

3 Likes

I think it is worth trying, but mainly because I am trying them all. :slight_smile: I ordered it for this spring from OGW.

Other than Tony, everyone you tagged is in a much warmer climate (mine is 2nd coldest at 6/7), so I’m not sure how much experience there is with zone pushing jujubes. A number of sites list quite a few of them as hardy to zone 5. Grow Organic lists all 4 that they sell as Zone 5 (HL, Lang, Li, and Shangxi Li).

If you are looking at Rolling River, Black Sea would be a good one to get- earlier this year, someone from the forum (@castanea I think) posted that they were very good. And RR lists it as hardy to Zone 5.

2 Likes

Thanks, will try it

OGW says both Winter Delight and Autumn Beauty are hardy in zone 5 but I doubt they are. More important, Winter Delight is very late for me in zone 9. They’re my next to the last jujube to ripen and the fruit is pretty large. I really don’t know how they would ripen in zones 5 or 6.

Black Sea is early and has smaller fruit. I suspect it might actually be hardy in zone 5.

5 Likes

while appreciate the vote of confidence, have to give deference to everyone on that list, since they all have colder winters than what we have here.

location-wise, i’d say @bobvance and @tonyOmahaz5 are pushing the limits. Most nurseries say jujus will be ok at zone 6, but bob and tony are zone 5 or close to zone 5 and manage to get their trees to fruit consistently.

jujus are considerably cold-hardy. I feel the main issue about zoning is more likely influenced by low-production in colder regions since those generally have shorter growing seasons, hence less time for photosynthesis. Juju trees will not necessarily succumb to winters in zone 5 or even lower, but will have poor production.

2 Likes

From the map I’m 6b/7a. In terms of the coldest winter I’ve seen (in 8 years here), it got down to -9 or -10F (6a). I haven’t had any established jujubes die back, but I did have 2 of 3 (both So/Contorted) die back to close to the ground when I fall planted them, right before the coldest winter. Tigertooth (the 3rd) was fine.

2 Likes

important to note that for winter d, it seems like @castanea is the only one here who has the real mccoy. OGW seemed to have sent winter d and massandra specimens with wrong tags to at least two of us here, so just re-ordered them in the hopes that there might be differences from what we already have :disappointed::disappointed:

1 Like

was going to ask, did any of your bigger/older trees die back after the -10F?

1 Like

The only thing (aside from those new plantings) that I’ve seen die back was grafts from that year. And I’m not sure if that was cold-related or just weak grafts which didn’t make it.

2 Likes

that’s nice to know, since it confers some peace of mind to those who’ve planted or grafted after a year or two passing without a really cold spell. And if so happens that one’s in an area where tree may get caught by wicked winters, one could just start on a potted specimen and bring in to one’s garage for a couple of winters until the tree bulks up well enough to be planted permanently outdoors. From what observed, the thicker the calipers of cold-sensitive species(citrus, subtropicals, etc), the more likely to survive cold spells.

1 Like