Any Japanese raisin tree cultivars?

A local gardener shared some “fruits” (although I guess technically they’re swollen peduncles) from his Japanese raisin tree, and my whole family found them delicious. I could try to sprout these seeds or buy a tree, but I was wondering, are there any cultivars I should be seeking out? Are seedlings variable? Reputable sources like this don’t mention any cultivars, which seems surprising.
https://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/raisintree.html

There is almost no information on Japanese raisin trees, at least in the English-speaking world. I think very few people have them, certainly not enough to have cultivars.

You can see what little we know about them in this thread. Maybe if you could find a Japanese board, they would know more.

1 Like

I’ve researched them and finally got one last year. If cultivars exist, and I doubt they do, I’ve never seen mention of them. Additionally, even finding the plant isn’t easy. I out myself on Rolling River Nursery’s list and it took 3 years before I received an email. I ordered the day it became available and within just a few days it was again no longer available.

No flowers last year, but it still looks good, scratch test shows green, even though I planted it very late in the season last year.

I tried germinating seeds at one point and had no luck with those, but as the seeds were bought online I do not know if they were even viable.

Scott

1 Like

was wondering how yours is doing @Chills

i found this and quite tempted to get one!

I searched for a Raisin Tree a while ago and found some pictures of an old specimen in vienna. (Botanical Garden, University)

Went there but i couldnt find it … maybe its dead/replaced or i didnt look properly.

Damn wanted to taste the ripe flower stalks!

2 Likes

Marvin, I’m curious where the university botanical garden is in Vienna. It’s not on the Danube Island, is it?

Not a cultivar or relating to fruit production, but Oikos Tree Crops had grown out a cold hardier seed source than the others in cultivation. That was the only time I saw a Japanese Raisin tree available that was different than just run of a mill. I ended up killing that one too, put it in a bad spot, by that time, they never offered them again. maybe it was hardier, maybe not, such is life…

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing @Austro_PawPaw and @KlecknerOasis .

as for our qualms about trying the species, it is not about our winter cold, but the summer heat and the dryness…
and the alkali soil we have… We’ll see…

1 Like

Hey,

Its located here:

There are many landscaping trees and some of them are rare.

The place is also a good indicator for cold hardy trees.

I also saw the interesting Decaisnea Fargesii (Dead mans fingers, blue bean plant, blue sausage fruit)

It had no fruit this year.

3 Likes