Any other Citrus fanatics here?

I am going to have them inside where I also grow my garden starters… So I guess the risk is too big and hose treatment will not work… So thank you, but no…

Patience is a virtue.

Is it still 8a? Take the lowest temperature from each of the last 10 years at your property and average them to find out.

I live 20 miles outside of 8b, and my average lows during winter put me in 9a, but averages do not mean much after just one night of 10°f or below. So far I have been lucky, but one day…it will happen…deep freeze…:cry:

TFN

1 Like

This is how cold hardy zone is defined:
Take the lowest temperature from each of the last 10 years at your property and average them.

If the answer is in the 10°-15° range then you are in zone 8a, otherwise something else.

Geothermal is great for oranges. They grow a bunch a couple hours from me in a colder zone Geothermal orange grove! Heavy yields!!

A reminder that you don’t need a whole lot of space. Here’s a neighbor growing some Navel oranges in small patch of dirt next to the house. I wouldn’t do it there though since you may need to tent or paint the house.

4 Likes

#cheating :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Some of my citrus trees today…

Bahia orange tree

Sanguinello orange tree

Corsega grapefruit

Lemon tree

4 Likes

I’m so jealous. Would love to have a plot of land like that. Great job Luis.

1 Like

Thank you very much! I hope i finnish my project this year! :smiley:

1 Like

Very interesting Wild Citrus in a Florida Forest? Why It's a Big Deal. - YouTube

Encouraging video. So what do y’all think?

A. The predator for the disease vector inhabits dappled shade.
B. Citrus grown in dappled shade is less stressed than those grown in full FL sun, and therefore more able to resist/recover from the disease.
C. The guy came across an old variety that didn’t have its disease resistance bred out of it in favor of another trait.
D. All of the above

He’s got a feel-good answer for desperate people. I think he’s part of the problem, and definitely not the solution.

Richard, I may have missed it but I don’t think he offered an answer/solution at all. Of course it feels good to see abundant citrus on disease free trees in FL, but why have these not succumbed? And why is he part of the problem?

The trees don’t have visible symptoms for 2-3 years after infection. Moving trees or scionwood out of or around in a quarantined area is the absolute worst activity.

1 Like

I don’t see any trees or scion-wood being moved around by that guy. Nor do I see any proof that he’s encouraging such a thing. I only see him talking about seeds.

1 Like

I have many guesses, like maybe the disease spreading insects hate something in the area. The shade and moisture does protect a lot of insects and other things that may be considered pests, or predators.

Also as you can see natural enemies to the ‘Asian citrus psyllid’ have been released in to problem areas of Florida https://entnemdept.ifas.ufl.edu/creatures/beneficial/wasps/tamarixia_radiata.htm

Also as you can see here https://www.growingproduce.com/fruits/natural-enemies-for-asian-citrus-psyllid/ that those same wasps were released in California, and found 3 to 4 miles away from where they were released. So those wasps spread far away fast.

1 Like

Citrus Greening disease is caused by a gram-negative bacteria. Let’s hope that any plant material removed from the area – including seeds are hermetically transported and tested prior to propagation.

I am growing citrus in a quarantine area and have been in the APHIS program from day 1 two decades ago. We receive information about the disease, where it’s detected, the ACP and where it’s known to be, the wasp, including maps on a monthly – sometimes weekly basis. Participation in the APHIS program is mandatory for commercial growers of citrus fruit and nursery stock. Inspectors visit at least twice per year and biologists from University of California at least once per year depending on location and pest pressure. See this publication for a peek into our world: http://www.citrusinsider.org

2 Likes

Or maybe E. It could be,for now,that the Psyllids are being opportunistic and are going to the mass plantings to get an easy meal and haven’t visited there yet.
The guy did say in the video,that those wild citrus areas are not too common.bb

1 Like