Any other Citrus fanatics here?

Does anyone know where to get online in US Melo gold grape fruit? i only seen them to be sold out.

I don’t know if I would qualify as a Fanatic or not. I have over 50 citrus trees in ground in zone 8a. All the way from limes and pomellos to several orange and grapefruit varieties and bunches of mandarins and satsumas. So far this year, winter has been on the mild side for us and the trees look great. I have a Cara Cara already beginning to show signs of getting ready to bloom, and a New Zealand Lemonade that has bloomed all winter, though most of the blooms and fruitlets got damaged by the polar vortex last week. I got started a little over 3 years ago, and may have gone a little overboard😁

TFN

2 Likes

[quote=“TooFarNorth, post:102, topic:10933”]

(“I don’t know if I would qualify as a Fanatic or not. I have over 50 citrus trees in ground in zone 8a…
I got started a little over 3 Year ago…”)

Yes you qualify !

1 Like

they sold out.

The one I have trouble finding in stock is Gold Nugget.

TFN

I am going to have them inside where I also grow my garden starters… So I guess the risk is too big and hose treatment will not work… So thank you, but no…

Patience is a virtue.

Is it still 8a? Take the lowest temperature from each of the last 10 years at your property and average them to find out.

I live 20 miles outside of 8b, and my average lows during winter put me in 9a, but averages do not mean much after just one night of 10°f or below. So far I have been lucky, but one day…it will happen…deep freeze…:cry:

TFN

1 Like

This is how cold hardy zone is defined:
Take the lowest temperature from each of the last 10 years at your property and average them.

If the answer is in the 10°-15° range then you are in zone 8a, otherwise something else.

Geothermal is great for oranges. They grow a bunch a couple hours from me in a colder zone Geothermal orange grove! Heavy yields!!

A reminder that you don’t need a whole lot of space. Here’s a neighbor growing some Navel oranges in small patch of dirt next to the house. I wouldn’t do it there though since you may need to tent or paint the house.

4 Likes

#cheating :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Some of my citrus trees today…

Bahia orange tree

Sanguinello orange tree

Corsega grapefruit

Lemon tree

4 Likes

I’m so jealous. Would love to have a plot of land like that. Great job Luis.

1 Like

Thank you very much! I hope i finnish my project this year! :smiley:

1 Like

Very interesting Wild Citrus in a Florida Forest? Why It's a Big Deal. - YouTube

Encouraging video. So what do y’all think?

A. The predator for the disease vector inhabits dappled shade.
B. Citrus grown in dappled shade is less stressed than those grown in full FL sun, and therefore more able to resist/recover from the disease.
C. The guy came across an old variety that didn’t have its disease resistance bred out of it in favor of another trait.
D. All of the above

He’s got a feel-good answer for desperate people. I think he’s part of the problem, and definitely not the solution.