Any other Citrus fanatics here?

Richard, I may have missed it but I don’t think he offered an answer/solution at all. Of course it feels good to see abundant citrus on disease free trees in FL, but why have these not succumbed? And why is he part of the problem?

The trees don’t have visible symptoms for 2-3 years after infection. Moving trees or scionwood out of or around in a quarantined area is the absolute worst activity.

1 Like

I don’t see any trees or scion-wood being moved around by that guy. Nor do I see any proof that he’s encouraging such a thing. I only see him talking about seeds.

1 Like

I have many guesses, like maybe the disease spreading insects hate something in the area. The shade and moisture does protect a lot of insects and other things that may be considered pests, or predators.

Also as you can see natural enemies to the ‘Asian citrus psyllid’ have been released in to problem areas of Florida https://entnemdept.ifas.ufl.edu/creatures/beneficial/wasps/tamarixia_radiata.htm

Also as you can see here https://www.growingproduce.com/fruits/natural-enemies-for-asian-citrus-psyllid/ that those same wasps were released in California, and found 3 to 4 miles away from where they were released. So those wasps spread far away fast.

1 Like

Citrus Greening disease is caused by a gram-negative bacteria. Let’s hope that any plant material removed from the area – including seeds are hermetically transported and tested prior to propagation.

I am growing citrus in a quarantine area and have been in the APHIS program from day 1 two decades ago. We receive information about the disease, where it’s detected, the ACP and where it’s known to be, the wasp, including maps on a monthly – sometimes weekly basis. Participation in the APHIS program is mandatory for commercial growers of citrus fruit and nursery stock. Inspectors visit at least twice per year and biologists from University of California at least once per year depending on location and pest pressure. See this publication for a peek into our world: http://www.citrusinsider.org

2 Likes

Or maybe E. It could be,for now,that the Psyllids are being opportunistic and are going to the mass plantings to get an easy meal and haven’t visited there yet.
The guy did say in the video,that those wild citrus areas are not too common.bb

1 Like

The asian citrus psyllid (ACP) have been in FL for over 20 years. The disease – prevalant in eastern Asia – was first detected a dozen years ago in FL.

Richard,
Has any ACP been found at your place or in the neighborhood?bb

APHIS has traps about every square mile in agricultural and populated areas of the county. They publish a map showing number of detections per month. My neighborhood is in the 1/mo. (non-zero) range. Some areas of the county with groves are in the 6/mo. range while others have 10+/mo.

1 Like

Yes, I remember reading that not all of the ‘asian citrus psyllid’ have been found to carry the disease. I wonder why that is, that could be why the disease was not found for a long time.

1 Like

Thank goodness none of the ACP found in my area have tested positive for the disease.

Like several asian citrus pests they were here long before HLB. But when the disease arrived in FL the ACP spread it like wildfire. Trees can have the disease but not exhibit physical symptoms for 2-3 years. Hence the detection lagged far behind the spread. Nowadays there is a laboratory test for instant verification of the disease but I believe a quick-and-easy field test is still elusive.

Another antagonist is the Curry Leaf plant. It is the favorite roost for ACP and not affected by HLB. Many gardeners grow it even when it’s restricted in their locale. Hence HLB is spread in populated places even when common citrus is not present.

1 Like

Since you know so much about this disease I have a few questions for you out of curiosity, not that I plan on getting any.

1. Do you think that soaking such seeds in a bleach solution could kill the virus without killing the seeds?
  2. Might the pollen have the virus? For hybridization purposes.

HLB infects cells. Every chemical treatment I’ve read about is toxic to all plant cells.

Anyone who wants a high-quality disease-free citrus can order them at a reasonable price online from Four Winds Growers.

1 Like

I am very happy so far, with the orange tree that I bought from them spring 2016.

2 Likes

[quote=“Richard, post:126, topic:10933”]

[/quote] (“Citrus Greening disease is a virus.”)

No, it’s a phytoplasma , bacteria.
Candidatus Liberibacter is a genus of Gram-negative bacteria in the Rhizobiaceae family.

1 Like

Very interesting, thanks for the correction :slight_smile:

1 Like

“The disease was first discovered in California in 2012 in Hacienda Heights. HLB was detected in 269 trees in 2017 and 699 trees in 2018, with a majority of these occurring in Los Angeles and Orange counties. The disease has not yet been detected in a California commercial grove.” (1/16/2019)

I gave up on all of my citrus for dead. Low and behold, my Moro blood orange is sprouting green leaves, yeahhhhhhhh!

2 Likes

Above the graft I hope!

1 Like