Any other Citrus fanatics here?

Clearly people falsely believed that it was a virus, and there are 3 types of it https://cisr.ucr.edu/citrus_greening.html

1 Like

Yep!!!

1 Like

I have unknown citrus root stock left after Satsuma grafted on it died this spring and I couldn’t find scion wood to re-graft. It was growing whole summer on my deck in air-pruning pot, but I have no intention to get it inside for winter. Anybody wants a healthy bare root citrus root stock at the middle of October(shipping earlier could be too hot for bare roots )? Shipping is on me, I hate to kill what I nursed for several months.

2 Likes

@Chills, how are your citrus trees doing all these years later?

1 Like

I had a problem (plumbing/insurance) that had us out of the house for 3 months last fall. My Meyer lemon didn’t make it. My Aussie fingerlime died back to within about 14 inches of the soil. It took a while to resprout, but it looks good now and I’m hoping by 2022 I’ll be getting fruit from it again.

My outdoor poncirus are rocking, though…

Scott

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear about your Meyer lemon and fingerlime… and house! What do you use your poncirus for? That might be one I ought to try. I’m a little over an hour south of you in Toledo so I can’t imagine it’s any colder here than it is there.

1 Like

Honestly my wife likes sticking them with cloves and they get that wonderful spiced citrus smell…

Also, bragging rights…no one else around has a “citrus” growing in their yard.

We did put a little of the juice on fish before broiling it and we didn’t notice any disagreeable flavors.

Scott

2 Likes

So I’ve greatly downsized my own citrus collection. I still grow several (4) Kaffir lime trees for their fragrant leaves to use in cooking my Malaysian curry chicken. I also have a 6’ Meyer’s lemon, a 3’ Meyers & Key Lime, a Tarocco blood orange, a Owari satsuma, a Kishu mandarin, and a couple others.
Got a bit discouraged when I moved all my biggest, oldest, best citrus into the sunroom only to have 2 bloody rats chew their way in and kill off several of my favourite citrus trees by chewing off their bark. Killed off my 5’ Owari satsuma, 6’ Kaffir lime, 3’ Oroblanco & Melogold pomelo/grapefruit. Sold off several citrus trees and kept what will fit indoors and in the now reinforced sunroom.

1 Like

There is a tiny madarin that comes into France from Morocco. I wonder if I can grow it here. It is amazing. Smaller than the canned Mandarine oranges in the US. Delish!

2 Likes

I’m not a fan stick by any stretch but love using lemons and limes in beverages and cooking. My fiance and I have what was described to her as an ornamental orange tree in a 3 gallon pot. It’s never fruited. I take it outside in May and inside before the first frost. Looking for a recommendation for a compatible variety I could graft on and which would do ok in this environment.

1 Like

Kishu?

2 Likes

No it has a funny name. I,ll think of it.

1 Like

I tried to find it…they came in a red net bad. Maybe 30 of them. I looked up Kishu and that is exactly what they look like. Just a more commercial name.

3 Likes

I have no idea about ripening season in Morocco, but here in NorCal, its around new year. We absolutely love the fruits. I budded it on my gold nugget last year, so I guess I’ll have some fruits in 5 years! :slight_smile: Patience is needed for all gardening, but citrus just pushes that…

3 Likes

Yeah that’s the issue with scale just when you think you’ve gotten them all you notice a curling leaf and find one behind it.

3 Likes

I fought scale with a toothbrush and soapy water earlier in the season but my control wasn’t lasting until I followed up the clean up with a puff of diatomaceous earth…

3 Likes

I have lots of citrus trees in my small yard, maybe about 15-20 trees. My Kishu fruited last year but after I moved it, it has nothing. Hopefully next year it will fruit.

1 Like

I grow citrus in two marginal areas. One is the central Willamette Valley of Oregon. The other is in the Anderson Valley of Northern California.

In Oregon I have yuzu, sudachi, dunstan, and carrizo growing outside without protection. So far, in three years, I’ve gotten good amounts of fruit from the sudachi and yuzu. I also have a Prague citsuma growing outside. Are you familiar with that specimen. A chimera of a satsuma and trifoliate, so is the hardiest of all sweet citrus, and the fruit quality is like a owari with no trifoliate taste.

In Oregon I also grow owari, meyer, meiwa, calamondin, kafir lime, and some other seedling lemon. These are outdoors in ground too, but I cover them about 15-30 times each winter. I get lots and lots of lemons off the meyer and many kumquats off the meiwa.

In Northern California I have some land with a rustic cabin where I plant lots of fruit trees. The map says it’s a 9b, but we are in the bottom of the valley and the lows are more consistent with 9a. I grow satsumas, sudachi, yuzu, kumquat, meyer and navel oranges outside unprotected. We had a very cold winter last year, and even got nearly a foot of snow, which is unheard of. The temps stayed around 30-34 F for the entire event and there was virtually no damage to any citrus.

All the trees I’ve mentioned are on either flying dragon or standard trifoliate rootstock. I also have quite a few seedlings on their own roots. I tinker with breeding and grafting.

Here’s how some look in Oregon this week.

4 Likes

Is Sudachi a small plant? I’m looking for something small to grow in my front yard, this area is very hot, and reflected heat from the wall makes it worse for any plants.

1 Like

I also grow in a marginal area, and cover them a few times a year, also use incandescent lights which automatically come on when the temp gets below freezing.
4 variety of Kumquat(Meiwa, nagami, marumi and Fukushu), 4 satsuma (owari, brown select, okitsu wase, and arctic frost) 2 tangerine (ponkan and sunburst) 2 navels (Cara Cara and a Glen)and 2 meyer lemon in ground along with 2 rootstock trifoliate in ground to one day harvest seeds from for grafting out some plants for people. Also a calamondin, kishu, finger lime and a meyer in pots but mostly due to lack of space in ground. Some in ground 3 years the rest only 2 so not a ton of fruit yet but the kumquats are very productive and the owari has fruited now 2/3 years but it’s not in enough sun really but oh well. Where did you get the Prague from? Stan McKenzie? I’d like one but really I don’t have space haha maybe I could get one and plant it at my parents house, or remove the two trifoliates and put those in pots and plant it there. In a year or so I’ll want to graft onto these existing trees, but basically the only thing I don’t collect that is citrus is grapefruit, maybe I’d like it if I grew it but I’ve never had a grapefruit that I wanted to eat a second one of
Uploading: IMG_3636.jpeg…
Uploading: IMG_3633.jpeg…
Uploading: IMG_3634.jpeg…
Processing: IMG_3635.jpeg…
Uploading: IMG_3638.jpeg…

1 Like