Any other Citrus fanatics here?

This little tiger (Lanes Late) nearly died from root rot before I took it out of the ground a couple of years ago and consigned to care. Left with almost no framework or foliage its done well to survive.
It has recovered so well that it’s taken to fruiting this year. Tough little blighter!

7 Likes

Great job. Looks super healthy.

Thanks UrbanAggie it is a nice little tree. I hope that it grows up so I can put it back in the ground and get bigger crops :blush:

Mick

Grapefruit juice on top of tangelo. Look at the color.

4 Likes

Grapefruit are Pomelo x some-other-citrus, including Mandarin, Orange, Sweet Lemon, etc. In many cases the juice is lighter color than Mandarin.

I am! I love citrus and i want to finnish my collection this year. For now i have 2 cara cara orange, 2 bahia orange, 1 sevilha orange, 1 4 seasons lemon, 1 budha’s hand, 1 bergamot fantastico,1 pomelo chandler, 3 tangerine, 1 fragola orange, 1 tarocco meli orange , 1 sanguinelli orange, 1 moro orange, 1 combava lime, 4 fingerlime rose, red, yellow and green. 1 amoa8, 2 yuzu nº3, 1 ugli, 2 sudachi, 1 vaniglia orange, 1 Corsica grapefruit, 1 tahiti lime, 1 red grapefruit, 1 kumquat ovale, 1 kumquat meiwa, 1 pursha lime, valentine pomelo seedlings. But i will buy several new varieties this year.

One that i’m dying for is dekopon, but it doesn’t exist in Europe… :disappointed_relieved:

Some of my citrus photos here: My small fruit tree orchard

5 Likes

Wow Luis!!

1 Like

Thank’s! The citrus grow very well here! :grin:

This year i will buy: 1 king mandarin, 1 sarawak pomelo, 1 minneola tangelo, 1 varigated lemon, 1 sweet lemon, 1 oroblanco grapefruit, 1 hirado butan pomelo, 2 lane late orange, 2 navelina orange, 2 4 seasons orange, 1 mandared mandarine, 1 early sicily mandarine, 1 sweet sicily mandarine, 1 red champagne fingerlime and 1 sunshine yellow fingerlime.

Still finding dekopon orange and seedless yuzu…

1 Like

What is your secret for buying so many citrus trees without going broke? In all the places from which I have tried to buy citrus an order like the one you show would approach $1,000. Are you grafting your own, or are they cheaper on the other side of the pond??

Hi! I don’t know if you saw but i’m from Portugal. I buy them from Italy by 4 or 5 each month… :sweat_smile:

Yeah, I saw, that’s what I meant by “other side of the pond.” How much is a 2’ potted citrus in Italy? I’ve been looking for a potted Bearss Lime here on the East Coast of the US, and it’s about $50-$75 per tree (not including shipping). Seems crazy.

LOL! I didn’t understand the pond! In Italy i can buy one citrus tree from 10 euros to 35 euros. The rarest ones like Hirado Butan are 50 euros.

Wow, yeah, much much cheaper there! If I could get any kind of citrus for 10 euros over here I’d have a greenhouse full of them!

1 Like

And the shipment is like between 35 to 60 euros. But in US you have fabulous varieties that we don’t have here in Europe, like dekopon and hyuganatzu…

1 Like

I hope I finally found a post where I can get my answers :smiley:.
Can citrus be grafted with scion wood, not bud grafted?

@galinas
Check out fruit mentor on utube , a lot of good info on citrus propagation
I do have a owari mandarin , I could send scion of…
But ,I just noticed it has scale , thought I had wooped them , but they are back . So…?

@galinas - Yes.

1 Like

Do you know if it is possible to remove them from scion wood and not to kill it? (Been there :smiley:)

I have keep them under control (?) with high pressure water spray from a garden hose followed by a " summer type " horticultural oil.
This has been 100 percent effective on many citrus plants.
But then there always seems to be a plant or two that they survive on