Any places still have Peach rootstock for sale (that isn't for sandy soils like Nemaguard?)

Hey alll,
I thought I had an Lovell roostock order with Burnt Ridge, but then I checked my emails and called them up and realized I didn’t go through with my online order a few weeks ago.
So trying to see if anyone has peach rootstock still for sale.
OneGreenWorld does, but its Nemagaurd which I heard was for sandier well-draining soils (if someone can confirm?) and not for East Coast clay soils (in Pennsylvania and NY).
Fowler Nurseries has Lovell, but retail backyard price is around $32 per rootstock.
I asked them if that was a price mistake and really a ‘per 10 bundle’ price, and the person I called said no (wow, very $$$!).

I would guess i should probably use Lovell rootstock? or got any other recommendations?
I am trying to graft Black Boy peach and Indian Free peach, so I’m not sure if any other plum rootstock like Marianna 2624 will work (I may have some of those lying around but still need to order more).

Thanks if you got any leads!,
Ari

1 Like

Maybe check a local nursery for a cheap peach tree in the spring. They’re often already branching and would provide plenty of grafting points.

4 Likes

Looking for maybe 10 - 20 trees to graft though, so not sure I’ll be able to get ‘rootstock’ prices (aka $3.50-$5.00). I might have a lead on 36 trees (minimum order) … but thats a bit too much for me (but i may still buy it tomorrow if thats my only option).

cummings nursery has some in stock but no idea if they have the kind you are looking for…
tg

1 Like

Fruitwood nursery still has 100+ lovells in stock @6 a pop. I just bought lovell seeds from sheffield seed and am gonna plant those out as root stocks. Approx 1$ per after shipping but you gotta wait for them to grow although peaches are quick

1 Like

I have read on UC website Nemaguard does well in clay soils if planted on a mound. You can also look into K86 supposed to be an excellent root stock but hard to find.

1 Like

I bought a ‘crate’ (which was about 36 rootstock) for $199 last year from Williamette Nurseries (so about $5.55 each, $90+S/H). I didn’t need that much, but i wasnt super duper successful grafting peaches in the spring with whip n tongues so didn’t mind i had that many to practice on).

1 Like

‘Lovel’ is typically grown from seed. You can get ‘Lovel’ seed here:

https://fps.ucdavis.edu/treeprice.cfm

1 Like