Any variety/species recommendations for cactus tunas?

Only got 1 glochid today! I used kitchen tongs for everything. Duct tape pulled it out, I’ll remember the wood glue tip though.

I bet they are wondering what’s with all the orders all of the sudden!

2 Likes

Roots!

4 Likes

And shoots !

5 Likes

I’m going to link this thread from 2015 Prickly Pear Cactus for everyone who lives in zone 6a or colder like me who wants to grow cactus. The pedals are delicious and remind of okra when they are fried. The fruit are small but can be juiced with no problem.

Took some varieties 8 months to do anything, but at least 1 of each type I ordered from coldhardycactus made it.

2 Likes

I cant wait for the tasting report.

Looking good! Will you plant these in ground or continue growing them in containers?

1 Like

I’m going to overwinter them in a greenhouse with low heat with some other stuff, then plant in spring. That’ll give me time to figure out how to plant the thorny ones.!

I think I have like ten varieties from coldhardycactus. I left all of them outside in pots for the first winter and all but one survived – I don’t remember which one. Some went in the ground after that and some stayed in containers. I think the container ones are doing better because, even though I made a raised bed full of small stones for better drainage, the in-ground ones stayed too wet during the winter.

4 Likes

@SMC_zone6

How did your cactus from http://coldhardycactus.com/ turn out? Any time i give out that link it makes me wonder how @milehighgirl is doing. She gave me that link so many years ago she may not even remember.