Anybody growing Watermelons? 3 varieties

@edweather, @rayrose, @fruitnut Thank you very much for the clarification. I did try to find this information but maybe it was just too obvious to be mentioned…

Since I would really like to save some seeds for next year I will grow the different varieties at different sites. Luckily I have 3 options where I could plant some. One option involves my parents garden, hope they enjoy growing watermelons :laughing:

1 Like

I planted about 1/4 acre last year but the deer got everyone of them. This year I planted them again but I also planted about 1/4 acre of black eyed peas for the deer so hopefully they will leave the watermelons alone. Several years ago we planted about 5 acres of them and had a electric fence around them. It kept the deer out but the hogs would run right through it. We still had so many watermelons in the end we ended up plowing under several hundred

Willhite’s, except for Orangeglo, which they don’t sell anymore.
This year I’m going to segregate some OG melons, and save the
seeds. I think in a few years, OG seeds are going to be extremely hard
to find.
For those of you that grow cantaloupes, I highly recommend that you
give Super 45 and Sugar Queen a try, both from Willhite’s.

2 Likes

All these melon threads are too much to bear, so I went ahead with a little order from Willhite’s of Black Diamond and Crimson Sweet. I don’t have much room, so I’ll just have to let them roam the lawn or the walkway to the house if they so desire.

One quick question is how long are seeds viable? I’ll only grow one hill of each, so I’m sure I’ll have a lot left over.

1 Like

I’ve kept them in good shape for several yrs in the fridge. I’m not sure how long at room temp.

2 Likes

This year i have sown Crimson Sweet seeds and 3 seeds sprouted :smiley: .

1 Like

Thanks Ray!

Placed an order for Big Stripe …will try it out this year with Crimson Sweet. While I was their I picked up some pumpkin seeds - Howden and Cushaw Green Stripe, some Kale and Black Eyed Susans. I can’t be stopped…

1 Like

Wow, what was the plan putting all those melons to use? Surely it wasn’t planned to fertilize the fields with melons :wink:

Just wanted to mention that I was wrong about the name of the watermelon. It’s Grover Delaney not Grover Delancy. It shows up on Tatiana’s Database. The ones I’ve grown look a bit better than the ones she shows.

1 Like

The only time we’ve grown watermelon successfully was maybe three summers ago. I bought a variety of seed called “Jubilee” from Baker’s Creek. They grew huge fruits- some close to 40lbs and they were absolutely delicious. I learned that I have a threshold for how much watermelon I could eat lol. I did dehydrate some which made a sort of taffy candy treat. I don’t think I have any more of that seed but hope to get some sort of watermelon in the ground soon!

1 Like

Mine are showing life! Here’s a Blacktail Mountain that’s about 1.5 times larger than a golf ball…today, that is. Well, it ~could~ be an Orangeglo. We transplanted two of each. My wife was “confident” this was the Blacktail Mtn!

We’ve got another two fruit that have set.

Of my certain Orangeglo plants, they are slower to harvest, according to the seed packet. This might explain why they have yet to flower.

1 Like

I planted sweet Siberian and an unknown variety from a local farm market…both varieties are on their second set of leave s

I think she’s correct. Orangeglo is a long melon not round like the pictured fruit.

2 Likes

OG is a long season melon, while BM is much shorter.

2 Likes

Here’s what my new watermelon growth looks like. My post above was Sunday, June 25. Today, eight days later, that watermelon is several times its size then. In both pics, it’s balanced on the edge of a 2 x 12.

I check the melons twice a day, and there is a noticeable difference in the size from morning to evening. I think I’ll get the postal scale out just for fun so that I can see how much difference a day makes.

3 Likes

That’s definitely BM. I wouldn’t leave it on the board. It might fall off
and split.

1 Like

I agree that it’s definitely Blacktail Mountain. The watermelon is growing on the ground. I set it up on the board for the photos only, primarily to compare sizing relative to the thickness of the board.

1 Like