Anybody had success rooting Peach Trees?

We have rooted blueberries and blackberries but never peaches.

I saw a university reports where the results looked promising for peaches.

I don’t have much confidence in the many you tube videos on the subject so I’m wondering if folks here have tested producing Peach trees from cuttings rather than grafting?

Never heard the idea discussed at any peach grower meetings but here is a journal article from 1985 that caught my attention.

4 Likes

I’ve had OK luck air layering. I could imagine semi-hard cuttings striking if everything is really optimized. If it were easy, everyone would be doing it though

1 Like

I’ve rooted figs, mulberries, boysenberries, blueberries, raspberries and rosemary… Can’t say I ever tried rooting a peach. Following.

2 Likes

I had struck out cleft grafting in June and bud grafting in August. This year I tried the hot callus pipe method in January and it worked!
IMG_1582

Hot Callus Pipe DIY](Hot Callus Pipe DIY)

3 Likes

I have not tried it on peaches but I have airlayered Buckthorne, and plums. If I were desiring to creat multiple peach rootstocks, first I would research the rootstock variety that best suits my local climate and soil character on this website: Peach Rootstocks, Which Should You Use? | Texas A&M Stone Fruit Breeding and Cultivar Development

Then I would purchase the rootstock that best fits my needs, purchase it from a grower and create my own stool to multiply the single rootstock into others. This will take at least 2 growing seasons, but you would end up with quality control and be certain about the ability to grow successfully. The value of this method is that the rootstock usually determines the tree size, anchorage, resistance to wetness and drought, and its ability to get water and nutrients from the soil.

The other most viable option would be to save some peach stones, stratify them for 90 days then plant them in a protected area to prevent rodent damage. This option will again take 2 growing seasons to get to a graftable rootstock size, and you will not really know your rootstock type.
Dennis
Kent, wa

Nice article, thank you!

I have seen alot of videos about propagating cuttings…this one really interests me. I have a really good area to do this in… and it just seems so simple and easy. (peach results at 8 min mark).

3 Likes

Were you able to read the whole article? The abstract looked interesting but I really did not want to buy the publication or join ISHS.

No, just the abstract jogged some memories. Mostly propagation techniques in printed articles from the 50’s thru 70’s. Some prunus clones would root far more easily than others. Dr. Barrett developed many prunus hybrids before he went to Florida, one was very easy to strike roots, he recommended it for inexpensive rootstocks. I believe it’s still in the G.R.I.N. collection.

@randyks This might be the rootstock you were referring to:
https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/accessiondetail?id=1565608

1 Like

Good find! I read Dr. Barrett’s original summary of his prunus breeding somewhere many years ago. That blip about striking in mist, and the fact he found ‘Convoy’ to accept all sorts of prunus pollen comes to mind.

Kind of a neat idea for apple rootstock… not sure if it would work for peaches as well.

1 Like

the article is available on sci hub. considering the research in the article was originally done with US taxpayer support, I don’t feel super conflicted about getting it there

1 Like

Hi, Dennis, I am curious why you want to airlay buckthorn? It grows like weeds here, can’t get rid of it

Hi Annie,
My wife sells the new ones and my Titan is a heavy producer, so there is good demand for them
Dennis

I am even more confused. Buckthorn produces tiny little black berries that have no particular use as far as I know. And it has thorns! I can’t imagine someone would want it grow on the property

Some people call seaberry " buckthorn".

1 Like

Found and printed the article. Never used sci hub before but worked great after i learned about doi

found this: " Rhamnus cathartica, colloquially known as common buckthorn, is a deciduous shrub or small tree native to Europe. This plant is hazardous to humans and most animals; all parts of it are mildly poisonous."

1 Like

I’m pretty sure @DennisD was referring to this plant since he mentioned the cultivar “Titan”:

From their description:

Also known as Sea Buckthorn, Sea Berry is prized for its exceptional ornamental value, tasty and healthy fruit, and the ability to grow in and improve poor soils.

1 Like