Anybody use Ziram 76DF for peach leaf curl?

z0r gave a good description of my conditions! I’m a mile from the water.
15-20% of PLC leaves on each tree after 8 sprays.

Thanks for doing the metric calculation!

1 Like

@cdamarjian
Note that for climates similar to the eastern U.S. the dosages for peach leaf curl are roughly 2/3 of what is listed above.

1 Like

Richard, are you absolutely sure? I have a different interpretation of that. Because of the word MINIMUM, to me it’s just saying how much of the spray to use not to mix it 5 times stronger.

I am a novice. My product is not called Ziram 76DF but it’s the same thing even though it has a different name. The label says 3 grams per liter and only once a year. Europe is known for being very strict for chemicals and in fact this Ziram requires a special license to buy.

Edit: I looked to see what the difference is between dilute and concentrate and found this:

Definitions • Dilute spraying (high volume): This is when the vine is sprayed to the point of runoff (‘thoroughly wet’), using the dilute chemical rate of grams or mL/100L from the label.

• Concentrate spraying (low volume): This is when the vine is sprayed with a water volume that is less than that required for dilute spraying while applying the same amount of chemical (per hectare) that would have been applied if dilute spraying.

Doesn’t that mean the amount of Ziram is the same but you mix it with less water for concentrate spraying? I guess the hard part would be trying to figure out how much 1 tree would get if you use 20 gal of concentrate per acre

Oh? What is the percentage of zinc-carbamate on the label?

Yes.

It’s also 76g per 100g, it just has a different name in Europe

So, please explain where it says to use 18g per liter instead of 3.6g per liter

3 grams / liter =
13.638 grams / gallon =
1363.8 grams / 100 gallons =
3 lbs / 100 gallons.

That is the standard maintenance dosage listed for peach leaf curl on the Ziram label I posted above.

Yes. Peach leaf curl must be treated at a specific state of annual growth. Anything before or after is ineffective.

For a concentrate spray, the instructions are to use 1/5th the water, which is equivalent to using the same amount of water but 5 times the dosage.

What about the majority of peach and nect production?

So the theory is that inoculum is much higher in coastal northwestern orchards at the time peaches first leaf out than in the northeast, so that explains possibly needing more powerful fungicide to control it, but not really why you would need so many additional sprays. The infection of leaves is a very narrow window, isn’t it? I’m thinking continuous sprays throughout winter might be of no help, especially if the inoculum is mobile and widely present. I suppose there must be research that contradicts my theory. Perhaps research funded by the manufacturers.

I will say that the worst PLC I’ve ever had to deal with was right on the edge of Long Island sound a stone’s throw from ocean water. One spray of chloranthale in spring handled it.

The spec sheet on Ziram 76DF:
“West of the Rockies : Make dormant applications after leaf drop and/or
prior to bud swell.”

Is Ziram supposed to be more affective against PLC than chlor? Chlor is very widely available in amounts more suitable for home orchards, which is what most members of this forum are trying to protect.

As far as multiple sprays, all I can find is that the main issue on the east coast is killing the inoculum on fallen leaves where nearby spores tend to be concentrated. Removal should work at least as well.

Is some kind of sticker being used with the fungicide,especially if it rains a lot?

I am curious about this too. Is dormant oil a good “spreader sticker” or do I need to look for something made specifically for that purpose? I’m not sure they have anything like that here in Italy

It depends on the fungicide formulation. The label will recommend use of a surfactant if the circumstances warrant it.

Neem oil concentrate is a very good surfactant, and in some jurisdictions its only licensed purpose. A few milliliters per liter is sufficient.

I haven’t done much research into the subject of spreader/stickers.There was a study that showed,the latex based ones are more effective than the common pinene type.
Oil may work,depending on rainfall and what kind.Mineral may evaporate,as may some others.There was a guy on another forum,that used Dawn soap,but that seems like it may wash off too quickly.
My sticker presently,is a mixture of the Hi-Yield brand ,whose active ingredients are,alcohol ethoxylate and alkylphenol ethoxylate at 90%,combined with another product,ThermX 70,that uses 20% saponin,extracted from a Yucca plant.

yeah I was mixing up three regions, west coast producing areas (central valley for fresh peaches, sacramento and a little north for canning, some in eastern or/wa), home grower locations (generally, not those places), and west/east of rockies label notes. I’m lucky to live next to OSU and for some reason they put out a willamette valley-specific peach guide every year so I go with that:

Note: Apply first leaf curl spray when 50% of the leaves have fallen and again at delayed dormant in late February before floral buds begin to open. An additional spray may be needed during the dormant season for shothole control depending on material selected. The addition of a spreader sticker will increase the effectiveness of some leaf curl sprays. Even curl-resistant cultivars need protection during the first few years. East of the Cascades, in southern Oregon, and in low-rainfall areas, a delayed dormant application alone should be effective.

it notes bravo and echo shouldn’t have a sticker added. no notes for the others so I add one for ziram

I chose ziram because it was available in a powder form in small quantities from keystone (I think I have the 76df version, but now the small one they sell is “xcel”):

my guess was that the powder should be shelf-stable for many years so I figured $50 for this would check my leaf curl box for a long time

2 Likes

The only latex based one I know of is Tactic which is only available through a limited number of suppliers for commercial growers- Keystone, unfortunately, doesn’t carry it. Here is some info and a means to find your nearest supplier. You can have a bottle UPSed to you, but only by phone order. TACTIC | Loveland Products here is the locater for your closest supplier. Find Location

1 Like

Yes,I read a little about Tactic.Their other product,Bond Max,was used in the study.

You mean Bond Max is latex based?

Yes,according to information on their website.

Another one they have is Attach,which looks to be Pinene based.

1 Like

I’ve never used and to be honest never even heard of a spreader sticker before but I’m interested in using one with the Ziram. Does this silicone based Catalyzer sound ok? It looks like the only one I’ll be able to buy here in Italy.